Arcade days

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Arcade days

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:52 pm

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:01 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:52 pm
Heh neat

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Polybius
That explains a lot about our man Fife. :mrgreen:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:02 pm

Polybius was real.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:06 pm

I was dropping Polybius hints on you mofos years ago. I think Fife only learned about it from reading Armada.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:14 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:06 pm
I was dropping Polybius hints on you mofos years ago. I think Fife only learned about it from reading Armada.
Hell, it was still flying over my head when Fife posted it, never knew about it until I read the link.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:27 pm

I am fairly certain projects generally along the lines of Polybius went down in the 1980s, though probably not directly run by the government, or even indirectly. I know for a fact that psychological experimentation gets done on people through games today. It also happens in social media. What Facebook did to its users would get a professor kicked out of a university and not allowed to experiment on humans ever again or any capacity.

Corporate human experimentation without consent is a not so secret scandal these days. Most people don't understand how ethically fucked up it really is.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:27 pm
I am fairly certain projects generally along the lines of Polybius went down in the 1980s, though probably not directly run by the government, or even indirectly. I know for a fact that psychological experimentation gets done on people through games today. It also happens in social media. What Facebook did to its users would get a professor kicked out of a university and not allowed to experiment on humans ever again or any capacity.

Corporate human experimentation without consent is a not so secret scandal these days. Most people don't understand how ethically fucked up it really is.
What, you mean "market research"?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:01 am

This one. Playing together with friends.

"Elf needs food badly" :D

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:34 am

Hastur wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:01 am
This one. Playing together with friends.

"Elf needs food badly" :D

Valkyrie player. Rock on!
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:56 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 pm
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:27 pm

What, you mean "market research"?
It can mean anything. They will use vague language buried in a EULA agreement to legally cover for themselves.

What is strictly legal is way over the fucking line into the red zone as far as what you are allowed to do in academia. When experimental ethics refers to consent, they mean the participants fully consent to be experimented upon and fully understand what is happening.

Imagine signing up for a class in college, and buried somewhere at the bottom of some application it says in small print nobody will read that all students are subjected to human experimentation for various social science research. That shit would get all the researchers kicked. But that is what many large tech firms are doing.

It's buried in contracts for getting mobile devices, creating social media accounts, even operating systems and other software installations. Microsoft collects a fuck ton of your data if you use Windows now (advice: uninstall that shit now).

They often sell it as if it's just generic, anonymous data used to improve their products or services. They certainly do that, but that is not all they do. They will create test and control groups to see what slight changes affect user behavior, for example. Facebook, as one example, would subtly alter the kinds of stories people were exposed to in order to see if it was possible to shape opinions about various issues. The big pay off there is that they could convince corporations that it is possible to shape consumer sentiment about brands and and markets. But I think now they are selling the idea to political groups.

Google does similar research with respect to shaping opinions based on search results and the kinds of news stories people are exposed to.

Even television networks design television shows around the idea of shaping opinions on politics and social issues, which is why you should stop watching it. It's all propaganda.

Games shape the opinions of children on a variety of issues. Arma, for example, is sold as if it began as a simulation to help train soldiers. Bullshit. It began as a propaganda tool to increase the pool of viable recruits. Starting with the millinneal generation, the percentage of qualified males for service is so low, that they had to figure out how to increase the rate at which qualified young men are amenable to enlistment. That game was designed to foster familiarity with the armed forces and create positive emotional biases towards service.

Polybius is not a myth. It's all Polybius. All of it.