Beer Drinking

Speaker to Animals

Re: Beer Drinking

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:20 am

How is getting drunk "truly living", though?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:27 am

Getting ''drunk'' isn't.
Sharing a bottle of '89 vintage port over a game of poker with friends is though.

I think that if you drink every day and regularly to excess you might need to think about stopping.
Otherwise you are depriving yourself of one of life's pleasures and no better than a filthy vegan (no offence JD).
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:42 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:27 am
Getting ''drunk'' isn't.
Sharing a bottle of '89 vintage port over a game of poker with friends is though.

I think that if you drink every day and regularly to excess you might need to think about stopping.
Otherwise you are depriving yourself of one of life's pleasures and no better than a filthy vegan (no offence JD).
I am not a teetotaler. I sometimes will have a glass of beer with friends, but it is very rare. Especially since I picked up a solid fitness regimen. Improving myself physically is far more satisfying than a buzz.

Imagine what it is like to attempt a difficult movement patterns on the rings and actually achieve it. Or just pick any sport you enjoy watching. Imagine getting so good at soccer that you absolutely dominate a match. Once you experience that, the choice to drink becomes kind of superfluous. Alcohol is empty cories that mostly will convert to fat. It will retarded progress and hold me back. Hard pass most of the time

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:46 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:07 am
One observation I have made is that people who smoke and/or drink regularly age very fast and very poorly.

People sometimes remark that folks like me and others like me, as well as folks farther out in the teetotaler end of the spectrum, look very young for our age. It's a nice compliment, but I think the reality is that most other Americans age very fast because of their lifestyle habits.

Regular alcohol consumption and especially smoking, in my admittedly informal survey throughout life, are the primary causes of visible aging before one's time.

I think also the associated consequences of these habits, such as lack of decent sleep due to partying and staying out, poor nutrition, etc., also play a role here. Add in the fact that such persons are unlikely to exercise much or mind their body composition, and they start to break down in their late thirties to early forties.

On the positive correlation side, I notice people who fast for at least a day, at least once per month, dramatically slow the aging process via autophagy.

Last I check, we all aren’t going to live forever. And the aging process continues no matter how we decide to cheat death. But America was built on Whisky, Tobacco, and rebellion. So yeah still smoke about a pack a day, was a much more hardcore drinker 3 years ago compared to today, but guess what, still can run a mile in less that 6 minutes, outperform my co-workers in productivity whilst stepping out for a smog. And keep in mind got all my best coding ideas and knowledge of cutting through the red tape by having 3 to 5 minutes speaking to the right personnel. So if you’re not into smoking, it’s a great cost effective thing not to do. But allow me my foibles as well.

As for beer consumption, it’s a lot cheaper that paying for overpriced prescriptions that left me more groggy and foggy than drinking a pint or two to take the edge off. Also when in a social setting getting drunk is a sign of rudeness and I hate being publicly intoxicated (been tossed in the drunk tank once, learned my lesson over 25 years ago). But not gonna lie either when I say that there were some days I would pound 3 liters and do two shots of Rumplemintz because I felt grinded and stressed out from work.

To each their own and all that good rot.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 am

You could greatly counterbalance the effects of drinking by fasting for about 48 hours each month.

Smoking is really, really fucking bad for you. Especially by middle age. Odds are fair you won't make it out of your sixties.

Think about how fast the last ten years went by. Odds are not small that you will have about that much time left before you kick the bucket from lung cancer.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 am

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:42 am

I am not a teetotaler. I sometimes will have a glass of beer with friends, but it is very rare. Especially since I picked up a solid fitness regimen. Improving myself physically is far more satisfying than a buzz.

Imagine what it is like to attempt a difficult movement patterns on the rings and actually achieve it. Or just pick any sport you enjoy watching. Imagine getting so good at soccer that you absolutely dominate a match. Once you experience that, the choice to drink becomes kind of superfluous. Alcohol is empty cories that mostly will convert to fat. It will retarded progress and hold me back. Hard pass most of the time
Sounds like the buzz I get from learning a new juggling trick.
Coincidentally, passing clubs after even small amounts of alcohol quickly becomes a lot less proficient but a lot more fun.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:57 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 am
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:42 am

Sounds like the buzz I get from learning a new juggling trick.
Coincidentally, passing clubs after even small amounts of alcohol quickly becomes a lot less proficient but a lot more fun.

Lol

I did have a lot of fun when I first learned to juggle three objects. Never took it further, though.

Drunken gymnastics might be a bad idea, though..

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:04 am

A tent full of half cut jugglers throwing fast spinning clubs at each other leads to plenty of slapstick comedy.

Then there's fight night...

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:10 am

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 am
You could greatly counterbalance the effects of drinking by fasting for about 48 hours each month.

Smoking is really, really fucking bad for you. Especially by middle age. Odds are fair you won't make it out of your sixties.

Think about how fast the last ten years went by. Odds are not small that you will have about that much time left before you kick the bucket from lung cancer.

So I don’t make it pass 60. I do not pass go, do not collect social security. But for every smoker that doesn’t make it to 60 there are those that still smoke in their 90’s. Nicotine is a stimulant. And nicotine in tobacco is was more safer that those that vape and use nicotine in it’s liquid form. And if that liquid is ingested or absorbed in the skin or gums that speeds up the cancer process tenfold.

Alcohol is a natural depressant. It slows your heart rate and let’s ye old brain box wander. Not good for operating machinery or driving but is a natural counterbalance to anxiety. That’s why way too many idiots end up the ER for mixing booze with pain pills because they end up being in a hypotensive state.

I’m a poker player, a chess player so I understood the odds and risks. However Chantix did way, way more damage that what it supposed to do. The Nicotine patches were passed out while I was in college and spent the next week dry heaving due to the delivery of the drug. I know more chain smoking doctors and nurses who would have gone postal if it were not for taking a smoke and giving them 3 to 5 minutes to recenter and go about their business.

Once again not advocating lighting up, vaping, or alcoholism. But it’s my right as long as it’s on the books.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:14 am

On topic:

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck