Beer Drinking

HarryK

Re: Beer Drinking

Post by HarryK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:42 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 am
If you get talking to the old farmers in a pub around here they will tell you the locations of all the allied plane crashes from the war (lots of airbases around here). Hard pressed to find that sort of information in books or online.
I try to take advantage when we are threshing to learn a bit more about local history or the wildlife. Too noisy while the machinery is operating but we always sit on a few bales and have a beer afterwards.

That’s what a pub is for. That’s why I need to cross ye old pond again.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:51 am

I can borrow a cruiser and sail you to my favourite pub in the world if you do make it over.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:02 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:51 am
I can borrow a cruiser and sail you to my favourite pub in the world if you do make it over.

Miracles can happen. Got some loose ends to tie down first. But yeah certainly could use a break from America.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:48 am

Don't leave it too long, the Calliphate is going to ban alcohol soon.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:37 pm

HarryK wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:22 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:51 am
Nicely saved, it was in danger of going all Crusader Knights back there.

There are some great riverside pubs on the Norfolk Broads.
The nanny state still allows you to be drunk in charge of a boat so you can have some epic pub crawls. There's a whole industry built around sailing from pub to pub.

If you ever make it to Philadelphia, PA they have a Revolutionary Pub Crawl where every bar is at least 150 years old. I’m not a Yingling guy but for that place I drank it and drank it with pride.

In Key West FL, it will take you 2 and a half days for their pub crawl. For me it’s way too hot for beer. But the variety and nationality of those places versus the losers like Gas Monkey Garage trying to expand their brand was an embarrassment.

Port Richey FL where I am now makes awesome pale ales an ambers. Ybor city outside of Tampa is kind of like a mini New Orleans. Cigar city brewery is tried and true for their beers.

And in Vegas where I’ve meet a lot of the old DCF members at the Pub at the Bellagio had at least 175 taps, and beertenders had no problems making me smarter for pairing beer and food.

Like I said these taverns, bars, and establishments of their ilk is oral history personified. And I’d rather be sociable having a brew instead of drinking alone with the boob tube on. :D
Had some great times in Ybor. :)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:44 pm

While I was in Ybor I found this cool vintage shop where I found a black hat and a cane too boot. Let’s say I can pull of the Johnny Walker Red look.

La France on 7th ave. Great people and wish them nothing but success.
HarryK

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:10 am

I don't want to bring the thread down man but...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45283401
A large new global study published in the Lancet has confirmed previous research which has shown that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

The researchers admit moderate drinking may protect against heart disease but found that the risk of cancer and other diseases outweighs these protections.

A study author said its findings were the most significant to date because of the range of factors considered.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:42 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:10 am
I don't want to bring the thread down man but...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45283401
A large new global study published in the Lancet has confirmed previous research which has shown that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

The researchers admit moderate drinking may protect against heart disease but found that the risk of cancer and other diseases outweighs these protections.

A study author said its findings were the most significant to date because of the range of factors considered.
I saw that as well. Bummer! One less excuse to get drunk won't stop me though.

:obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingchug: :obscene-drinkingfaded:

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:07 am

One observation I have made is that people who smoke and/or drink regularly age very fast and very poorly.

People sometimes remark that folks like me and others like me, as well as folks farther out in the teetotaler end of the spectrum, look very young for our age. It's a nice compliment, but I think the reality is that most other Americans age very fast because of their lifestyle habits.

Regular alcohol consumption and especially smoking, in my admittedly informal survey throughout life, are the primary causes of visible aging before one's time.

I think also the associated consequences of these habits, such as lack of decent sleep due to partying and staying out, poor nutrition, etc., also play a role here. Add in the fact that such persons are unlikely to exercise much or mind their body composition, and they start to break down in their late thirties to early forties.

On the positive correlation side, I notice people who fast for at least a day, at least once per month, dramatically slow the aging process via autophagy.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:13 am

“Oh, the worst of all tragedies is not to die young, but to live until I am seventy-five and yet not ever truly to have lived.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.