Beer Drinking

HarryK

Beer Drinking

Post by HarryK » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:55 pm

About the only skill I have left.

If you’re in Tampa check out The Pub at the International Plaza. The mall has more high end stores than you can shake a stick at.

Good visual concept. Bartenders know what they are doing. Fish and Chips to die for.

Great mix of English, Scottish, and Irish beers on tap. Great local brews. Nice mix of bottled beers (including my all time fave ‘Dead Guy Ale.)

Can’t wait to get back there on Monday. :dance:
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Speaker to Animals

Re: Beer Drinking

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:05 pm

2001 Space Odyssey is pretty classy too.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Pubs are dying on their arses in England. My town had 44 pubs when I was at school it now has 10.
Micro breweries are doing well though.
People drink at home and buy from supermarkets.
Pubs are more about food these days.
Sad when you see another one turned into a house, some of them have been inns for 500 years.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

HarryK

Post by HarryK » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:52 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:39 pm
Pubs are dying on their arses in England. My town had 44 pubs when I was at school it now has 10.
Sad when you see another one turned into a house, some of them have been inns for 500 years.
I blame Darwin for that. Lulz.
One only wonders how much time has been wasted being the “armchair quarterbacks” of the world. Only to know deep down inside we don’t have the stones to actually make it happen.
HarryK

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:12 am

HarryK wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:52 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
As in survival of the fittest?
I blame TV and other forms of home entertainment with the killer blow being the smoking ban.
I guess we've evolved away from the need for public houses but at a cost to ''community'' and a loss of historical buildings.

Maybe a tour of Britains oldest Inns is in order.

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/travel/uk/ ... 3967877778
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:46 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:12 am
HarryK wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:52 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
As in survival of the fittest?
I blame TV and other forms of home entertainment with the killer blow being the smoking ban.
I guess we've evolved away from the need for public houses but at a cost to ''community'' and a loss of historical buildings.
Could there be some other reason you are missing?
Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:03 am
And you know what happens with the majority of those Muslim kids when they grow up?
They drink lager, smoke pot, support their local football team, speak with regional accents, watch shitty reality TV etc.
I'm other words they become as British as everyone else.
Just like other British born subjects some of them become criminals but the vast majority just get on with earning a living and raising a family.
Sooner or later they will do what most British people have done now and drop their medieval superstitions and stop going for their weekly indoctrination sessions.
Guess not...

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:52 am

What?
Are you trying to link a 70 year long decline in pub usage to the recent immigration of Muslims.
Your yoga regime must be rigorous to allow you to stretch like that.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 am

What! Brittain only just recently started accepting immigrants? Wow, you got me there.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:24 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 am
What! Brittain only just recently started accepting immigrants? Wow, you got me there.
Well exactly, Nation of immigrants going back centuries. Yet the decline in pub numbers only started after the war.
Could it be that immigration has nothing to do with it?
The changes in our culture which have led to the decline have far more to do with technological changes like the mass production of beer and new sources of entertainment in the home than any localised cultural changes brought in by immigrants.
The town I grew up in wasn't flooded with immigrants. I doubt there are more than a handful of Muslims today. Still went from 44 pubs to 10 in the last 40 years.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:30 am

That's a 77% decline since you were young. 40 years? Are you sure it's been declining like that since 1945? How many pubs did you start with? :shock: