SCIENCE

DrYouth

Re: SCIENCE

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:21 am

I had no idea you had an inner eco-terrorist...

:shock:

I thought it was just a plain ol' terrorist...
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:24 am

DrYouth wrote:I had no idea you had an inner eco-terrorist...

:shock:

I thought it was just a plain ol' terrorist...
I keep him suppressed.

I see a plastic bag floating in a body of water and I want to hunt the person down and garrote them with their own soggy refuse.

But acting on that impulse is counterproductive to my long term plan of staying out of prison. I don’t know if you’ve heard, but we improson a few folks down this way - even for reasonable crimes of passion like strangling litterbugs.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:27 am

Funny thing about science is that it has been for the most part a reductionist enterprise...

When the big thinkers posit synthesizing ideas.... like Darwin, Einstein and Humbolt... people tend to lose their shit...

Synthesising ideas are more than the sum of the underlying parts... and this tends to frustrate our cause and effect loving mind...

Leading many to argue that the theories are never proven.... which of course they never can be.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
DrYouth wrote: Sure... but "for our own sake" dies at the extremes of individualism...

At the extremes of individualism "for our own sake" means gratuitous comsumption... cuz who gives a #*&%... and it feels good + sells shit.

There needs to be some greater sense of the self to make "for our own sake" connect with caretaking of any kind.

This is the primary crisis of the times.

Exactly correct.

I think the extreme individualist and the extreme collectivist are both wrong. It's both things. These are not mutually exclusive concepts, and without synthesis, they both lead to major problems.
How dialectic.

And to think, somewheres on this board, folks were being shitty about Hegel.

And Marx... :twisted:

More about Christianity. The individual is only defined in its relation to others. But disrespecting the rights and life of the individual for the collective is just as dangerous and, ultimately, inhuman.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:46 am

Exactly correct.

I think the extreme individualist and the extreme collectivist are both wrong. It's both things. These are not mutually exclusive concepts, and without synthesis, they both lead to major problems.
How dialectic.

More about Christianity. The individual is only defined in its relation to others. But disrespecting the rights and life of the individual for the collective is just as dangerous and, ultimately, inhuman.
Six of one.

What is the parable of the loaves and fishes if not a prefiguration of Lysenkoism?

Commie. :snooty:
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:53 am

How dialectic.

Six of one.

What is the parable of the loaves and fishes if not a prefiguration of Lysenkoism?

Except s Marxist is anti-individual. Communism is not a synthesis of the collective and the individual at all. It's 100% collective and 0% individual.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Six of one.

Lysenkoism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism
Proponents falsely claimed to have discovered, among many other things, that rye could transform into wheat and wheat into barley, that weeds could spontaneously transmute into food grains, and that "natural cooperation" was observed in nature as opposed to "natural selection".[2] Lysenkoism promised extraordinary advances in breeding and in agriculture that never came about.

Joseph Stalin supported the campaign. More than 3,000 mainstream biologists were fired or even sent to prison,[3] and numerous scientists were executed as part of a campaign instigated by Lysenko to suppress his scientific opponents.[4][5][6][7] The president of the Agriculture Academy, Nikolai Vavilov, was sent to prison and died there, while scientific research in the field of genetics was effectively destroyed until the death of Stalin in 1953.[2] Research and teaching in the fields of neurophysiology, cell biology, and many other biological disciplines was also negatively affected or banned.
Thanks for that!

Truly awesome little pearl.

Interesting how this Gaian archetype of collectivism is so averse to competition.

Competition is in the domain of Mars (warrior archetype) and Mercury (communication of ideas / markets)...

Fascinating... and has me thinking of ideas for the D&D thread....

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Six of one.

Except s Marxist is anti-individual. Communism is not a synthesis of the collective and the individual at all. It's 100% collective and 0% individual.
Do you remember that novel I suggested last year? Loaves and fishes was the central point.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Pretty sure Marx would have marveled at the efficiencies of the markets at play while commenting on how the Chinese people were made richer while at the same time praising the loss of their superstitions.