The Psych Ward: The Shadow

GloryofGreece

Re: The Psych Ward: The Shadow

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:53 pm

DrYouth wrote:Sure fear is often part of the shadow...
Fear can drive all kinds of behaviour... avoidance, control, resistance...
When it is in charge we are in the grips of the shadow.

But struggling with it merely exhausts us.
It is accepting that we are afraid that is the key to integrating the shadow.
Telling ourselves that we shouldn't be afraid is useless...
It is when we accept that we are afraid and recognize it as a force for self preservation that we can engage with it constructively and allow it the space and information it needs to pass through our system...

Hiding and denying our fear makes it stronger...
As you can likely tell admitting im fearful isn't my issue. I know I'm no superman or hero or tough guy. I don't want to die, and I don't want to have a miserable debilitating life. Not knowing is crazy to me. The uncertainty is like a ticking time bomb that you don't know when or the extent the explosion will be.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 pm

GloryofGreece wrote: The uncertainty is like a ticking time bomb that you don't know when or the extent the explosion will be.
Dude we're talking about survival instincts here...
Life and death.
It's no fooling around.
I know... I've taken my own journey to face the beast.

I recently completed advanced training in Somatic Experiencing... it's an awesome form of therapy.
You might consider looking it up and seeing if there is anyone in your neck of the woods that is trained in it.
In particular those that have taken advanced training and are skilled body workers (craniosacral therapists or RMTs)... this is not a "talking cure".
This form of therapy is capable of really resetting the nervous system... check it out.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:06 pm

DrYouth wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote: The uncertainty is like a ticking time bomb that you don't know when or the extent the explosion will be.
Dude we're talking about survival instincts here...
Life and death.
It's no fooling around.
I know... I've taken my own journey to face the beast.

I recently completed advanced training in Somatic Experiencing... it's an awesome form of therapy.
You might consider looking it up and seeing if there is anyone in your neck of the woods that is trained in it.
In particular those that have taken advanced training and are skilled body workers (craniosacral therapists or RMTs)... this is not a "talking cure".
This form of therapy is capable of really resetting the nervous system... check it out.
What about Bioentergetics? Sadly, no authentic practitioners in central VA. I'll look into the other techniques. Thanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Lowen

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:10 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:What about Bioenergetics?
That is a very related practice... very likely tapping into the same systems with similar results.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Still listening to Bollelli's Sand Creek Massacre episode...

I can't help but be impressed that this massacre was even documented.

That an investigation was even held is a pretty impressive feather in the cap of the US army.

I have no doubt that in the intertribal warfare among indigenous peoples these kind of raids and slaughters of innocents happened with some frequency.

The idea that we should aspire to not treat the "enemy" as an inhuman other to be exterminated is a relatively modern concept.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:30 am

I'd imagine its a bit more difficult to get soldiers to kill other people unless you demonize/dehumanize them. It certainly makes it a lot easier to justify. How could you have as an effective war effort unless you persuade your citizens it is necessary for your survival and the enemy is an actual real threat? Id ask the question another way. How do people kill other people when they still look at them as actual human beings? Unless of course they are knocking down your door or literally threatening you in a very direct way...which in modern wars they "the enemy" is usually very very far away from your homeland.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:39 am

I finished up HOF 32A & 32B last night.

Bolelli and is his story is very, very good.

Cooper, well, Cooper is a bad MF. But you all already knew that.

A fantastic joint effort, so far. I can't wait now for 33.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:45 am

The conversation they have next month will be very good. The psychology / mentality of warfare is without a doubt one of the most under appreciated aspects of military history. People don't talk about it enough (for obvious reasons), you can't measure it really, and people inherently want to dismiss the dark side.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:28 pm

I agree.

The SJW trap is to say bad things happen in war.... therefore war is bad... and therefore the military is bad.

Bollelli calls out the opposite trend of covering up bad things and painting over them with glory...

Obviously war is not good.
But war can be necessary and the capacity to wage war is an absolute necessity if one is to remain secure as a society.

Looking at the dark side of war should not equate with a condemnation of an entire society any more than looking at something bad that an individual did as a condemnation of that individual.
But of course if that individual continually makes the same mistake over and over.... well then taking them to task might be in order.

The comportment of the USA as a whole has plenty of dark to it...
But when compared to any other "superpowers" in world history... I would say you have plenty to be proud of.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Bolelli, especially, went to some length to explain that there was nothing extraordinary about Sand Creek or My Lai, or Americans in war generally, or any war for any country or tribe, for that matter.

You'll have more of a challenge looking for the "non"-dark side, if you can find it.

https://www.amazon.com/War-Racket-Antiw ... 00P8OEFFY/