Essential Classic Movies to Watch With The Kids

Speaker to Animals

Re: Essential Classic Movies to Watch With The Kids

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Ice Pirates :whistle:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:32 pm

I think I was around that age when my Da took me to see the Magnum Opus Kubrick, maybe even younger than that. I certainly didn't get it the first time round, but lo did it haunt me ever after. My old man sho loved him some Kubrick, I was fed it like mothers milk.

Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:40 pm

The Crying Game
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I think I was around that age when my Da took me to see the Magnum Opus Kubrick, maybe even younger than that. I certainly didn't get it the first time round, but lo did it haunt me ever after. My old man sho loved him some Kubrick, I was fed it like mothers milk.

This may be an unpopular opinoon, but my favorite Kubrick is the Shining. I love that movie. It tough to name a favorite though
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:47 pm

I see 2001: ASO as the magnum opus, due the scale of the project and the effort that went into the masterpiece of it. It's definitely right there at the top of the Kubrik-eon, but indeed, it's hard to pick an absolute favorite, my favorite is often the one I'm watching in the moment, some days it might be Paths of Glory, or it could be Barry Lyndon, sometimes I feel a little Clockwork Orange, other times "I'm Spartacus". Bat Guano, Sgt. Hartman, Redrum-Redrum, it's all mothers milk to me.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Kubrik was at my at a freinds wedding reception nearly 30 years ago.
I wish I'd had the courage to ask him about his films.
He was notoriously reclusive but was a neighbor of my freinds parents so there he was ...
Not many people get to say they've partied with Kubrik. 8-)
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Kubrik was at my at a freinds wedding reception nearly 30 years ago.
He was notoriously reclusive but was a neighbor of my freinds parents so there he was ...
I wouldn't have bothered him about his films, the work speaks for itself, and knowing Kubrick, he'd probably rather talk about his cats.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Kubrik was at my at a freinds wedding reception nearly 30 years ago.
I wouldn't have bothered him about his films, the work speaks for itself, and knowing Kubrick, he'd probably rather talk about his cats.
I'm rather confident the last thing on earth Kubrick would want to discuss with a fanboi was his work product.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
I was a bit out of my depth, having arrived on the back of a 1930's Panther I wasn't going to draw any more attention to myself by bothering shy Stanley. These were some seriously upper class people and I was a 25 yr old director of a COOP restaurant. I was only there because the bride was a director as well and because I sailed with the family.
Great fucking party though, two days of port, pot and posh totty...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.