How Does One Actually Buy Gold?

Martin Hash

Re: How Does One Actually Buy Gold?

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:48 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Apmex looks pretty dope, actually. But ideally, this would be a cash purchase. ;)

Besides, how would you even take delivery? Is the UPS guy going to carry gold bars to your door??

It's insured delivery and you have to sign for it.

Granted, I was buying when it was only a few hundred dollars per ounce.
Gotta tell ya, man. Apmex is a bit of a rip-off. Priced 1oz Gold at $100 higher than the local coin store guy, NOT including shipping. Also, was able to buy cash, with no paper trail.

One instance of old-world face to face retail proving far superior to the internet.
A huge part of the gold ingot market is fake at the wholesale level. All eBay gold ingots are fake. Only buy Eagles from a reputable online source.

p.s. Eagles are $100 more than spot per ounce.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Yeah, you have to add in the the face value of the round ($50) plus the premium.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

It's insured delivery and you have to sign for it.

Granted, I was buying when it was only a few hundred dollars per ounce.
Gotta tell ya, man. Apmex is a bit of a rip-off. Priced 1oz Gold at $100 higher than the local coin store guy, NOT including shipping. Also, was able to buy cash, with no paper trail.

One instance of old-world face to face retail proving far superior to the internet.
A huge part of the gold ingot market is fake at the wholesale level. All eBay gold ingots are fake. Only buy Eagles from a reputable online source.

mmmm nope. I paid $1300, while Spot was $1250 on American Eagles.

Went to a US. Mint-registered bullion dealer, who does rare coins, etc. Nice guy. Face value on them is $50, which I assumed to be irrelevant. If not, then he's selling at exact value.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:57 pm

A US Mint recognized dealer is probably okay for Eagles. (Never buy bullion. Never buy futures.)
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Same goes for a Krugerrand . . .

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Martin Hash wrote:A US Mint recognized dealer is probably okay for Eagles. (Never buy bullion. Never buy futures.)
By 'bullion', are you referring to bars? He said he didn't stock them - not enough demand. Apparently, everybody wants Eagles.

I figure the smaller denominations are better for barter anyway. Nobody's going to have food/goods to trade worth an entire house :lol:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:19 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Went to a US. Mint-registered bullion dealer, who does rare coins, etc. Nice guy. Face value on them is $50, which I assumed to be irrelevant. If not, then he's selling at exact value.

Face value is ALWAYS supposed to be in the price.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Martin Hash wrote: A huge part of the gold ingot market is fake at the wholesale level. All eBay gold ingots are fake. Only buy Eagles from a reputable online source.

I don't think that's true.. at least from what I'm seeing online. The face value appears to be just "to show it as legal tender"...

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I don't think that's true.. at least from what I'm seeing online. The face value appears to be just "to show it as legal tender"...

It's in the price.

A coin's value depends upon the intrinsic value of the mineral content plus the face value plus the numismatic value. Then add a premium on top of that (sellers have to make a profit distributing them).

Fact is, probability is not on your side. Feminist women are not for life, man. There's a lower probability that you will grow old and die with the woman than her hauling you off to divorce court for cash and prizes. You don't have independence married to a woman like that. But you never really had it to begin with so you wouldn't even understand it anyway.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

It's in the price.

A coin's value depends upon the intrinsic value of the mineral content plus the face value plus the numismatic value. Then add a premium on top of that (sellers have to make a profit distributing them).
I don't care what's 'baked into' the price :lol: It moves with spot, I'm happy.
Fact is, probability is not on your side. Feminist women are not for life, man. There's a lower probability that you will grow old and die with the woman than her hauling you off to divorce court for cash and prizes. You don't have independence married to a woman like that. But you never really had it to begin with so you wouldn't even understand it anyway.
dafuq? :lol:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace