Hoppe on the Alt Right

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Hoppe on the Alt Right

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Fife wrote:Image
Win elects to remain in the NAC and marries Clarissa. Ed marries Lucy, who at the time of the story is awaiting a delayed "regeneration" because of an accident involving massive radiation exposure, and they then set out for the asteroid belt to build a new life for themselves on the NAC frontier.
Fucking.
Nerds.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:08 pm

You're welcome. :D :proud:

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:A private mercenary army can enforce contracts as well as any state.
Hmm. I realize you are joking around, but this is an interesting thought experiment. I would argue that the private mercenary army, or the company that is employing them is kind of the state in this stateless society. You could make an argument either way I suppose.
Shikata ga nai

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:06 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:A private mercenary army can enforce contracts as well as any state.
Hmm. I realize you are joking around, but this is an interesting thought experiment. I would argue that the private mercenary army, or the company that is employing them is kind of the state in this stateless society. You could make an argument either way I suppose.
You are right, that would be a kind of state.

That being said, I would argue that a contract is meaningless if one side has a private army to enforce it, and pointless if both sides have private armies to 'litigate' disputes.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
You are right, that would be a kind of state.

That being said, I would argue that a contract is meaningless if one side has a private army to enforce it, and pointless if both sides have private armies to 'litigate' disputes.
Very true. The thing is, in order to have an economy that produces goods that people want at a fair price, you need some kind of state. Liberty is also artifact of Leviathan, because without a state to ensure these liberties, you basically need to heavily arm yourself to ensure that you have any liberty at all. This is something that many Libertarians ignore. Liberty is not a free floating Platonic ideal. It exists if and only if enough people in a society agree it has value. It is a bit like money. Paradoxically, states are also eager to exert as much control and restrictions as they can, so Liberty is always in a precarious spot. There really isn't a good solution to this problem. I suspect that in the future there will always be free states and tyrannical states, but there is absolutely no guarantee that they will be the same ones that they are at the moment. What are your thoughts on this Hanarchy?
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:39 pm

@daralon
I don't think a 'state' can 'be eager' to do anything. People within the state can be eager to exert more control, so a good state will have rules that check that impulse.

I think you and I basically agree that Hobbes > Hoppe.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:@daralon
I don't think a 'state' can 'be eager' to do anything. People within the state can be eager to exert more control, so a good state will have rules that check that impulse.

MUH "GOOD" STATE

CHECK MUH IMPULSE

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Fife wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:@daralon

MUH "GOOD" STATE

CHECK MUH IMPULSE
Fife, I'm not gonna argue with you online. That is childish. We will settle this the same way they did in the Homeric age of heroes. We will decide who won this online debate by examining the outcome of the last time the college football SEC team from my area played against the team from your area. Keep in mind, I don't follow sports, so your team might have won. I have no way of knowing. If your team won, I will check out this Hoppe character. If my team won, you will need to sign up for early enrollment Obamacare and enthusiastically watch whatever project Lena Dunham works on next. Deal?
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:55 pm

What happens when the private mercenary army sets themselves up as the new state?