Star Trek Discovery

StCapps

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:50 am

Hastur wrote:Yup, it's fan fiction. It's advertised as fan fiction and no one's ever said anything else. It's just the best fan fiction I've ever seen.
Well that's something, I guess.
*yip*

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:I'll be watching Star Trek Continues instead. Star Trek Discovery reeks of contemporary political correctness.

Is that Grant Imahara from Mythbusters??

Yup. And Scotty is played by the son of the original actor.
I do fear that CBS is going to slap a cease and dismiss order on that show and to get it pulled.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 pm

They might make them rename it.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Turn the combadges upside down and call it Space Adventures.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Penner wrote:I do fear that CBS is going to slap a cease and dismiss order on that show and to get it pulled.
StCapps wrote:They might make them rename it.
Speaker to Animals wrote:Turn the combadges upside down and call it Space Adventures.
It's produced by a non-profit charity — Trek Continues Inc. — and Dracogen. As with all such Star Trek fan productions, use of copyrighted and trademarked properties from the original series is allowed so long as the production is non-commercial. A portion of the funds necessary to produce the episodes was raised through Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns.

CBS isn't like Disney. They like this kind of thing. This series has been ongoing since 2013 so you might think CBS would have acted earlier than now. The last episode is scheduled for november. I guess the actors and crew do it mostly as a hobby project.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:08 am

I watched an episode of STC, not to bad. Pretty good tribute to the original series. Even got Q in there as a ruler of an asteroid.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 am

C-Mag wrote:I watched an episode of STC, not to bad. Pretty good tribute to the original series. Even got Q in there as a ruler of an asteroid.
John D Lancie, or the character Q?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Penner

Post by Penner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:29 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:I watched an episode of STC, not to bad. Pretty good tribute to the original series. Even got Q in there as a ruler of an asteroid.
John D Lancie, or the character Q?
John D. Lancie will always BE Q. And also I remember watching him on Breaking Bad:

Waring the audio is shit

Also, he plays Discord on My Little Pony:

One character is probably Q in another form.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Penner wrote:
StCapps wrote:How dare you speak of Galaxy Quest and The Orville in the same breath?
:naughty:
One of these things is clearly infinitely better than the other.

Also, be more resourceful when it comes to finding a way to watch the show, there are ways, don't front like there isn't.

You don't have to wait for Netflix, you choose to,
it's better to just ask yourself, what would Sweden do?

I like The Orville is like watching a true Star Trek show and many other Trekkies would agree as well. The critics may not like it but Trekkies do because it actually feels like Star Trek.
Shit... you’re right. The Orville is actually a good Trek show. I expected a lot of 4th-wall-breaking, like family guy, but other than the way they speak, it’s Trek.

EDIT: Also, just realized that the robot is voiced by the Doctor from Voyager.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:19 am

That show is like a mixture of bad Star Trek and a terrible version of Galaxy Quest. The worst Star Trek movies are better than it, yet some of you shit all over the Trek films that didn't live up to your expectations, while giving The Orville a pass, what's wrong with you people? It's like y'all watched one episode of Discovery, got butthurt about the Klingons looking different, and are looking to lash out by approving of some shitty scifi/comedy show to emphasize how butthurt you are about Discovery. Discovery at least has potential to be a solid series of Star Trek, that it will likely squander through Voyagerification, but if they embrace Deep Space Nineification, it could be dope.

The Orville on the other hand, cannot be Galaxy Quest the show, it's just not well written enough, and the acting isn't there either. The previews for that show are fucking awful too, but maybe that's because the material they are working with is so bad, the show is nowhere near as funny as it aspires to be, which is huge issue when the drama is deliberately bad Star Trek so as to create more opportunity for humor, but the trade off is not the worth pay off.

Galaxy Quest the TV show, is great idea, The Orville is just poor execution of that idea, unfortunately, I had hopes, but they were dashed by reality. If y'all want to like bad TV because it fronts like it's Galaxy Quest, whatever, to each their own, but it's just odd is all. It's like y'all think your living in some era of television where nothing good is on television, so you got to resort to watching some lame genre show because there is nothing else on. But the truth is there is so much good television on TV these days, that you don't need to subject yourselves to the lesser quality TV, if you don't want to.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*