Star Trek Discovery

StCapps

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:56 am

Hastur wrote:Star Trek Discovery reeks of contemporary political correctness.
Not yet it doesn't, they could easily go that way, and ruin the show, but they haven't through 3 episodes.
*yip*

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:24 am

Hastur wrote:I'll be watching Star Trek Continues instead. Star Trek Discovery reeks of contemporary political correctness.

Based on the content of the show or the press around it?

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Hastur wrote:I'll be watching Star Trek Continues instead. Star Trek Discovery reeks of contemporary political correctness.

Word of mouth and press. I'll wait for more episodes before making any final decision on whether to watch it or not. I don't care about spoilers and I'm fond of binge-watching shows so perhaps I will wait til after the season and see what the verdict is here and elsewhere. I always like Jason Isaacs.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:51 am

Hastur wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:

Word of mouth and press. I'll wait for more episodes before making any final decision on whether to watch it or not. I don't care about spoilers and I'm fond of binge-watching shows so perhaps I will wait til after the season and see what the verdict is here and elsewhere. I always like Jason Isaacs.
Word to mouth? Who said what? In the pilot they the protagonist pretty much called out the culture is not race bs.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:39 am

Is that Grant Imahara from Mythbusters??

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Yup. And Scotty is played by the son of the original actor.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:02 am

Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Super cool... It looks like they're remaking old episodes, though... is there new content?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:11 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Super cool... It looks like they're remaking old episodes, though... is there new content?
It's not a remake. It's a continuation of the third and last season of Star Trek: The Original Series. They try to keep the look and feel of ToS and have succeeded. The last episode of this season that's been in the making for 5 years is coming this fall. It won a Webby Award for "People's Choice - Long Form Drama" in 2016, a Geekie Award for "Best Web Series" in 2014, and numerous Telly and Accolade awards.
http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:04 am

TOS is about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, and the personal chemistry the actors had together on screen, and part of that chemistry had to do with the actors being at certain time and place in their lives, and the era they lived in. Also if Gene Roddenberry isn't at the helm, that also is clearly just not the same. Without all those factors coalescing the show would be much, much worse, and even with that witches brew, there was still a lot of bad episodes. Can't replace Scotty with his grandson and have it be the same either.

You can't put humpty back together again five decades later, that's fan fiction at best. Non-starter with me from the beginning, just make a new show, it's time to get over The Original Series being cancelled after it took a dive in quality in the third season, and Gene Roddenberry let Fred Freiberger take over. Time to move on.
*yip*

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:49 am

StCapps wrote:TOS is about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, and the personal chemistry the actors had together on screen, and part of that chemistry had to do with the actors being at certain time and place in their lives, and the era they lived in. Also if Gene Roddenberry isn't at the helm, that also is clearly just not the same. Without all those factors coalescing the show would be much, much worse, and even with that witches brew, there was still a lot of bad episodes. Can't replace Scotty with his grandson and have it be the same either.

You can't put humpty back together again five decades later, that's fan fiction at best. Non-starter with me from the beginning, just make a new show, it's time to get over The Original Series being cancelled after it took a dive in quality in the third season, and Gene Roddenberry let Fred Freiberger take over. Time to move on.
Yup, it's fan fiction. It's advertised as fan fiction and no one's ever said anything else. It's just the best fan fiction I've ever seen.