Star Trek Discovery

Fife

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by Fife » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Jack's the anti-Mary Sue; and that's why we love him.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Jack Burton is the ultimate Mary Sue. It is as if they they wrote me directly i to the script.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 pm
Jack Burton is the ultimate Mary Sue. It is as if they they wrote me directly i to the script.
Nah, far too many flaws.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:12 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 pm
Nah, far too many flaws.
The flaws turned out to be strengths.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:54 pm

You know what they call a male Mary Sue: The Hero. I find the whole Mary Sue thing to be pretty overblown, at least half the male protagonists in adventure lit are Mary Sues, from Beowulf to Hornblower to Picard. It can be annoying, or you can just go with it and enjoy it for what it is. I recently read A Close Run Thing,a historical fiction of a young British cavalry officer at Waterloo that is the 1st book of a series. He's totally a Mary Sue, and a completely boring character. I lost interest in the 2nd book and didn't finish even though was set in Raj India and interesting in that way, I just didn't care about the character.

As for Discovery, they lost me by hitting all 3 of my plot no-no's: time travel, evil twins and amnesia. Seriously, you have a whole fucking universe to write in, and you have to fall back on those hackneyed, worn out crutches IN YOUR 1ST SEASON???
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND