Star Trek Discovery

Hwen Hoshino

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:43 am

Hastur wrote:"popular" ;)
Damn right. Only pussyes care about that on a forum like this.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 am

Hastur wrote:It's amazing how little value is attributed to civilization in the west today. I guess it's all the guilt and self loathing we are constantly being bombarded with. The biggest victim gets most prestige, not those who actually contribute to society. Building civilization and keeping it together requires tremendous energy. Wrecking it is almost automatic.
The second law of thermodynamics is one of the most fundamental laws of nature, having profound implications. In essence, it says this:

The second law - The level of disorder in the universe is steadily increasing. Systems tend to move from ordered behavior to more random behavior.

One implication of the second law is that heat flows spontaneously from a hotter region to a cooler region, but will not flow spontaneously the other way. This applies to anything that flows: it will naturally flow downhill rather than uphill.

If you watched a film forwards and backwards, you would almost certainly be able to tell which way was which because of the way things happen. A pendulum will gradually lose energy and come to a stop, but it doesn't pick up energy spontaneously; an ice cube melts to form a puddle, but a puddle never spontaneously transforms itself into an ice cube; a glass falling off a table might shatter when it hits the ground, but the pieces will never spontaneously jump back together to form the glass again. Many processes are irreversible, and any irreversible process increases the level of disorder. One of the most important implications of the second law is that it indicates which way time goes - time naturally flows in a way that increases disorder.

The second law also predicts the end of the universe: it implies that the universe will end in a "heat death" in which everything is at the same temperature. This is the ultimate level of disorder; if everything is at the same temperature, no work can be done, and all the energy will end up as the random motion of atoms and molecules.
To uphold order and stability we need to work against the very fabric of the universe. We need to wrest it loose and struggle to keep it. Why people don't understand this reflexively is beyond me.
I've always been slightly annoyed by this. Viewing an even distribution of heat/water/gas as "disorder" is a very Enlightenment-era viewpoint. I'd argue that it's actually much more "ordered" than the human-preferred state of having things separated and organized to our liking.

I'd prefer to think that the universe tends towards Order, and away from Disorder.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:25 am

The absolute order of total annihilation. Peachy.

HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:28 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:It's amazing how little value is attributed to civilization in the west today. I guess it's all the guilt and self loathing we are constantly being bombarded with. The biggest victim gets most prestige, not those who actually contribute to society. Building civilization and keeping it together requires tremendous energy. Wrecking it is almost automatic.
The second law of thermodynamics is one of the most fundamental laws of nature, having profound implications. In essence, it says this:

The second law - The level of disorder in the universe is steadily increasing. Systems tend to move from ordered behavior to more random behavior.

One implication of the second law is that heat flows spontaneously from a hotter region to a cooler region, but will not flow spontaneously the other way. This applies to anything that flows: it will naturally flow downhill rather than uphill.

If you watched a film forwards and backwards, you would almost certainly be able to tell which way was which because of the way things happen. A pendulum will gradually lose energy and come to a stop, but it doesn't pick up energy spontaneously; an ice cube melts to form a puddle, but a puddle never spontaneously transforms itself into an ice cube; a glass falling off a table might shatter when it hits the ground, but the pieces will never spontaneously jump back together to form the glass again. Many processes are irreversible, and any irreversible process increases the level of disorder. One of the most important implications of the second law is that it indicates which way time goes - time naturally flows in a way that increases disorder.

The second law also predicts the end of the universe: it implies that the universe will end in a "heat death" in which everything is at the same temperature. This is the ultimate level of disorder; if everything is at the same temperature, no work can be done, and all the energy will end up as the random motion of atoms and molecules.
To uphold order and stability we need to work against the very fabric of the universe. We need to wrest it loose and struggle to keep it. Why people don't understand this reflexively is beyond me.
I've always been slightly annoyed by this. Viewing an even distribution of heat/water/gas as "disorder" is a very Enlightenment-era viewpoint. I'd argue that it's actually much more "ordered" than the human-preferred state of having things separated and organized to our liking.

I'd prefer to think that the universe tends towards Order, and away from Disorder.
I prefer this

over this

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 am

Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I prefer this

over this

Cute. But which one looks more orderly to you?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:47 am

Dude. Lol. Which signal carries more information?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:52 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Dude. Lol. Which signal carries more information?
Is the objective purpose of the universe to carry maximum information?

It tends toward Order, that's all I'm saying. An even distribution of matter/energy is more 'orderly' than a separated one.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Dude. Lol. Which signal carries more information?
Is the objective purpose of the universe to carry maximum information?

It tends toward Order, that's all I'm saying. An even distribution of matter/energy is more 'orderly' than a separated one.

You implied the bottom signal was more orderly. Fact check false.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:56 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:An even distribution of matter/energy is more 'orderly' than a separated one.
That might be more orderly distribution of energy, but it leads to less life and civilization, which is not a good thing.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:12 am

StCapps wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:An even distribution of matter/energy is more 'orderly' than a separated one.
That might be more orderly distribution of energy, but it leads to less life and civilization, which is not a good thing.
Not from a human perspective, no.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace