US Voting Qualifications Thread

The Conservative

Re: US Voting Qualifications Thread

Post by The Conservative » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:34 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Yeah, we know, TC. If you are going to try to signal your intellect, do it with shit that not everybody already knows.
Then don’t call the US a Democracy when it’s a Republic. It’s as simple as that.
You really are autistic, aren't you?
Yes, but that’s irrelevant. A Democracy, people vote in the laws. A Republic, representatives of the people (congress) votes laws for the people.

How many other ways do I need to beat it into both tour thick and delusional skills that the US is a Constitutional Republic and not a Democracy?
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Yeah, we know, TC. If you are going to try to signal your intellect, do it with shit that not everybody already knows.
Then don’t call the US a Democracy when it’s a Republic. It’s as simple as that.

Sometimes I really hate having to explain things to forum members as one would to a child..

We have a representative democracy. A representative democracy is a kind of democracy not to be confused with a direct democracy (i.e. Athens before the second war with Sparta), which is another kind of democracy. When people use the unqualified word democracy, they refer to the broad category of rule by votes of which our government (representative democracy) and some other forms (such as direct democracy of Athens or the mixed government of medieval Venice) are a part.

You confuse the broader category of democracy with direct democracy.
Google is your friend. Use it, and like usual, you are wrong on this topic.
#NotOneRedCent

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:59 pm

California wrote:

The Roman Republic really lasted only about three centuries after they started expanding across the peninsula and beyond. For about two centuries prior to that, they were basically just a city with a few client towns in the surrounding area. The United States began at the stage that the Roman Republic was in about two centuries into it's history. It does seem like they will have squeezed about a century of life more out of their imperial-staged republic than we will, but that's not a thousand years.

What lasted a thousand years was an empire, run by an emperor, in which people were given votes on smaller matters that affected them locally, but not the whole empire. What really gave it additional life were the Diocletian reforms that established the groundwork for feudalism and were based on principles like subsidiarity.
1497 years actually :D

LOL, no.

From their independence from the Etruscans to the Principate, we are talking about four and a half centuries. But for the first two centuries, they really were just a city, not so much a huge nation state of any kind. From the time that they vaguely resembled a republican empire like the United States on day one of its existence to Augustus was just under three centuries .
I'm talking about the Empire. 44 BC to 1453 AD
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Penner

Post by Penner » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:32 pm

The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
apeman wrote:
You are too emotional and too concerned with your own position to discuss what might be beneficial to the future of our country.

I of course understand why you don't like my proposals, but when you can only see one side like you do, you assume that my intentions are nefarious
Are we not supposed to vote in our self interest, in a democracy?
We are a FUCKING REPUBLIC! Not a Democracy... fucking hell... how stupid do you need to be to not realize this?
A republic only means that we don't have a monarchy but we do have a representative democracy where I am supposed to vote for my own self-interest and I guess also for my country's interest. I have the right to vote and I am not going to support anything that would take it away.

Definition of republic

1 a (1) :a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2) :a political unit (such as a nation) having such a form of government
b (1) :a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2) :a political unit (such as a nation) having such a form of government
c :a usually specified republican government of a political unit the French Fourth Republic
2 :a body of persons freely engaged in a specified activity the republic of letters
3 :a constituent political and territorial unit of the former nations of Czechoslovakia, the U.S.S.R., or Yugoslavia

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/republic

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 pm

The amount of Lo-Info that rolls around here freaks me out, at least a little bit. Reading really is underrated, after all, it seems.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Penner wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Are we not supposed to vote in our self interest, in a democracy?
We are a FUCKING REPUBLIC! Not a Democracy... fucking hell... how stupid do you need to be to not realize this?
A republic only means that we don't have a monarchy but we do have a representative democracy where I am supposed to vote for my own self-interest and I guess also for my country's interest. I have the right to vote and I am not going to support anything that would take it away.

Definition of republic

1 a (1) :a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2) :a political unit (such as a nation) having such a form of government
b (1) :a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2) :a political unit (such as a nation) having such a form of government
c :a usually specified republican government of a political unit the French Fourth Republic
2 :a body of persons freely engaged in a specified activity the republic of letters
3 :a constituent political and territorial unit of the former nations of Czechoslovakia, the U.S.S.R., or Yugoslavia

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/republic
And the definition of a Democracy, please...
#NotOneRedCent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 am

Fife wrote:The amount of Lo-Info that rolls around here freaks me out, at least a little bit. Reading really is underrated, after all, it seems.

I'm sure the class would love to hear the professors thoughts on the franchise.

We all good boys here, we just tryin' to get ah education.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:57 am

apeman wrote:There is no historical reason to think democracy will endure, is there?

The biggest problem is endless gibs-based pandering and voters with absolutely no stake in the future. It allows you to look at the new Medicare-for-All bill -- which would double annual federal expenditures at a minimum -- and conclude "this is fine!"

So this is a thread to BS about proper qualifications to be permitted to vote in federal elections, obviously controversial, obviously no qualification can be perfect. But we need some skin in the game, or the incentives align very poorly. If you disagree, make your argument.

My thoughts so far:

-Must speak English to vote (I want you to want to integrate and be American)
-Must either own land or have a kid to vote (skin in the game and a stake in the community/future)
-Must have photo ID to vote (if you cannot procure a photo ID, with the minor expense and hassle it brings, then no vote)
-Cannot be on welfare for more than [period of time] in the last X years, or not vote. (this is about having a stake in your community/the future, not voting for gibs)
-Veterans get to vote regardless

Been toying with the idea of a basic civics test, but don't trust the govt with it.

I know that will ruffle feathers, in fact, I would only be able to vote for the last 16 months of my life, in any case, I cannot think of any good reason why I should have been allowed to vote before then. I bet the "land or kids" qualification will be reviled.
I think you're probably getting a little too wrapped up in voting as being the issue, because vast cohorts of people who qualify for your enfranchisement, are voting for the things which you say are the problem.

Land owners, with kids, aren't voting themselves ever more entitlements? Er, pretty sure they are, in fact, I would bet that land owners with kids is the single biggest cohort of self entitlement voters there is.

When it comes to handouts and freebees from the republic, land owners with kids are right there at the front of the line, and right behind them is the "we served in the military so now you gibs" veterans, in case you haven't noticed.

You know, I wouldn't let veterans vote at all, service in the military should disqualify you from voting, you should get your gibs, an agreed upon amount of gibs in the contract, it can be generous, but to get them, you give up the right to vote, because when you join the military, you are indoctrinated, and I mean brainwashed, into an ethos which consists of three elements.

1) Obeyance of orders without question nor hesitation.

2) Total loyality to the unit, to the exclusion of anyone not in the unit, especially civilians, who are actually scum.

3) The willingness to kill without quarter not mercy, including civilians, including your own civilians, with actually very little restraint.

Not exactly my ideal candidates for republicans, although, I'd certainly take them on a search and destroy mission to burn the whole kibbutz.

You want that ville pacified, by burning it to the ground? No problemo. You want that bill passed that restricts the American republic from going to war? What are you, some kind of scumbag pacifist commie faggot?

You wanna what? Cut government spending? Well, so long as it's not Social Security, Medicare, any sort of pork for the veterans and dependants, nor anything to do with the Pentagon and associated Military Industrial Complex, the veterans are all for it; so that leaves you what? like 15% of government spending to cut from? lol

The veterans are the biggest bunch of big govenment pork barrelers there is, with the possible exception of land owners with kids, it's neck and neck, but your two favoured classes, are the very ones who are taking you to the bacon wagon, and getting you into every single war that comes along, so why would you favour them?

Soccer Moms and Vets are the solution to your stated problems? Cognitive dissonance much?

Like, for your stated problem? Alright, here's my qualification, a 33% cut in government spending is not up for a vote, in order to vote, you must check *yes* on the box for a binding proposition to cut spending by a third, only then can you vote for who you want to execute this cut, from the selection of candidates below, if you don't vote yes for the 33% cut, then your ballot is disqualified, otherwise, knock yourself out, don't care if you're not even an American citizen, so long as you check *yes* on the 33% budget cut, vote away.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:22 am

apeman wrote:There is no historical reason to think democracy will endure, is there?

The biggest problem is endless gibs-based pandering and voters with absolutely no stake in the future. It allows you to look at the new Medicare-for-All bill -- which would double annual federal expenditures at a minimum -- and conclude "this is fine!"

So this is a thread to BS about proper qualifications to be permitted to vote in federal elections, obviously controversial, obviously no qualification can be perfect. But we need some skin in the game, or the incentives align very poorly. If you disagree, make your argument.

My thoughts so far:

-Must speak English to vote (I want you to want to integrate and be American)
-Must either own land or have a kid to vote (skin in the game and a stake in the community/future)
-Must have photo ID to vote (if you cannot procure a photo ID, with the minor expense and hassle it brings, then no vote)
-Cannot be on welfare for more than [period of time] in the last X years, or not vote. (this is about having a stake in your community/the future, not voting for gibs)
-Veterans get to vote regardless

Been toying with the idea of a basic civics test, but don't trust the govt with it.

I know that will ruffle feathers, in fact, I would only be able to vote for the last 16 months of my life, in any case, I cannot think of any good reason why I should have been allowed to vote before then. I bet the "land or kids" qualification will be reviled.
Seems to me you want to create an elite voting class and an underclass of non voting subjects. I realise this is merely a thought experiment as no democratic government could ever get away with disenfranchising half the population but what I don't understand is why you think the new elite would use their power for the public good and not just act as a self interested aristocracy.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

apeman

Post by apeman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:51 am

Monty -- look at the other side of the coin, what reason do you have to support universal vote? IS there any serious thinker ever that thought it was a good idea?

Smitty -- I agree with your criticisms of my proposal for the most part.

A problem without a solution maybe.