Crichton's Timeline book

Speaker to Animals

Re: Crichton's Timeline book

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm

heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Forgot about some of those, actually. Almost every one of those movies was a pathetic ripoff, too.
Lol yeah. Have you ever seen Rising Sun? Its pretty god awful
Book was sort of interesting. It wouldn't be interesting now since the future tech described is past-tense, for the most part, and Japan never became very powerful.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Forgot about some of those, actually. Almost every one of those movies was a pathetic ripoff, too.
Book was sort of interesting. It wouldn't be interesting now since the future tech described is past-tense, for the most part, and Japan never became very powerful.
Im not dissing Crichton as a writer. He was excellent. Most of the movie adaptions to his books were awful, jurassic park being a notable exception.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Its been awhile since Ive seen it, but I like the great train robbery when I was youngger. Book was good too.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:Does it whitewash the brutality of it's medieval setting or it's a more realistic gritty version?
It's just a mix between Beuwulf and Ibn Fadhlan's account of Norther Europe circa 921 AD. Still a good book. I wouldn't say it's whitewashed but it's not particularly gritty imo.

Edit: wait. I'm thinking of Eater's of The Dead. I read Timeline but don't remember much about it tbh

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Timeline is my favorite of his books. Eaters of the Dead is number two. I guess I would put Jurassic Park as number three.

But my interests are in computer science and history (Timeline material) and I love time travel. I seriously make a game out of figuring out ways to spot time travelers if they exist.

Although on philosophical and logical grounds, I kind of lean towards the position that the past is not real, so nada time travel. You can travel to something that is not real.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 pm

I really liked the Great Train Robbery as well
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:23 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Timeline is my favorite of his books. Eaters of the Dead is number two. I guess I would put Jurassic Park as number three.

But my interests are in computer science and history (Timeline material) and I love time travel. I seriously make a game out of figuring out ways to spot time travelers if they exist.

Although on philosophical and logical grounds, I kind of lean towards the position that the past is not real, so nada time travel. You can travel to something that is not real.
Time travel theory always bored and confused me. Is there a lot of that?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 am

It's pretty well contained in the book
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:46 am

Still waiting for the Hollywood adaptation of State of Fear. How long will it take. :lol:

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:28 am

heydaralon wrote:
Not a great movie. On the other hand, Sean Connery throat-punches a bouncer, so that's fun. :D
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0