Anyone else expects the new Disney Star Wars canon to be discarded?

heydaralon

Re: Anyone else expects the new Disney Star Wars canon to be discarded?

Post by heydaralon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Baxter's and Clark's Time's Eye would make for a good movie because it synthesizes some near-future SF with the ultimate alt-history battle between Alexander and Genghis Khan. It has European astronauts and British colonial troops (including Rudyard Kipling) marching with the Macedonian army against Genghis' army with an American astronaut helping him and imprisoning her former Russian cosmonaut friends. Which is cool, I guess. They both are huge English gays, so it's no wonder they'd malign us. But the story is still great.
I've never heard of this. I haven't read much alternative history beyond Man in the High Castle, which I liked. Have you ever heard of a book called Red Shift by Alan Garner? It has some weird alternative history stuff spanning from Rome to the English Civil War to the present.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Re: Anyone else expects the new Disney Star Wars canon to be discarded?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:14 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Baxter's and Clark's Time's Eye would make for a good movie because it synthesizes some near-future SF with the ultimate alt-history battle between Alexander and Genghis Khan. It has European astronauts and British colonial troops (including Rudyard Kipling) marching with the Macedonian army against Genghis' army with an American astronaut helping him and imprisoning her former Russian cosmonaut friends. Which is cool, I guess. They both are huge English gays, so it's no wonder they'd malign us. But the story is still great.
I've never heard of this. I haven't read much alternative history beyond Man in the High Castle, which I liked. Have you ever heard of a book called Red Shift by Alan Garner? It has some weird alternative history stuff spanning from Rome to the English Civil War to the present.

It's not strictly alternate history, since what happens is that slices of the Earth are copied from around the world at different times and spliced into a new Earth in a short-lived pocket universe.

The second book is 100% hard SF because the aliens send a huge gas giant plummeting into the Sun, causing a massive coronal ejection aimed directly at the Earth. Humans have to develop some complicated engineering solutions to sort of survive the blast.