Anyone else expects the new Disney Star Wars canon to be discarded?

Hwen Hoshino

Anyone else expects the new Disney Star Wars canon to be discarded?

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:40 am

I expect that one day the bean counters will just get rid off it and the onscreen stuff will stay canon only.

Is it any good? I tried to get into it but it did not feel right.

Speaker to Animals

Re: Anyone else expects the new Disney Star Wars canon to be discarded?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 am

Let's produce original content again.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:26 am

Fuck Star Wars. Even the old ones. I'm tired of that shit.
Shikata ga nai

katarn

Post by katarn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:41 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:I expect that one day the bean counters will just get rid off it and the onscreen stuff will stay canon only.

I know it didn't feel right to me, but I was a big Expanded Universe junkie before Disney bought Star Wars. As to the question, I'd imagine not, at least not for a long time. The marketing has been that central oversight will improve continuity and create a more cohesive universe. They're spending enough time on this that it would take a film reboot like Star Trek had, I think, to get the to overturn it. And we know no one would try that.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:25 am

katarn wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:I expect that one day the bean counters will just get rid off it and the onscreen stuff will stay canon only.

I know it didn't feel right to me, but I was a big Expanded Universe junkie before Disney bought Star Wars. As to the question, I'd imagine not, at least not for a long time. The marketing has been that central oversight will improve continuity and create a more cohesive universe. They're spending enough time on this that it would take a film reboot like Star Trek had, I think, to get the to overturn it. And we know no one would try that.
What do you mean by long time?
Speaker to Animals wrote:Let's produce original content again.
That goes on in the USA and all over the world right now.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 am

Lucas stole the original content from a French Comic book. Lucas was a hack. The Original episodes work because the original story he stole works. Then when he tried to write episodes 1-3 we saw how that turned out. He knew he'd blow episodes 7-9 so he sold out.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:18 pm

katarn wrote:

I enjoyed the old movies (the original trilogy and NOT the Prequels) but when Disney threw out the EU I was fine with it because I wasn't familiar with it to even be bothered with it. I really did enjoy playing KOTOR and also KOTOR II but the only real ping was them throwing out the idea that Han and Leia had twins of their own but it might just play out in the new movies- so maybe no loss at all.

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:19 pm

C-Mag wrote:

Lucas stole the original content from a French Comic book. Lucas was a hack. The Original episodes work because the original story he stole works. Then when he tried to write episodes 1-3 we saw how that turned out. He knew he'd blow episodes 7-9 so he sold out.

Lucas also had a lot of help from a lot of talented people telling him "no". Sometimes telling people no to things does make the work better.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Its easy to shit on the prequels, but the original trilogy was terrible too. Terrible in different ways and for different reasons, but people often lose sight of that. There's no reason anyone over 12 should be within 500 yards of anything star wars related. Grow the fuck up.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:37 pm

For the time, the originals were pretty good. But they don't hold up well, story-wise.

My problem with all these garbage films is that there are some really fucking awesome SF novels we could translate to film.

But then, they'd probably fuck that up too like they did to Ender's Game.

If we are going to reboot something, we should reboot Ice Pirates. Use it to poke fun at liberals and SJWs.