DNA Testing (23 and Me, Ancestry, etc.)

SuburbanFarmer

Re: DNA Testing (23 and Me, Ancestry, etc.)

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Fife wrote:I'm willing to say that everyone reading this is a direct descendant of both Jesus and Julius. And just about everyone born 2,000 years ago. And that it can be "proved" by some mail-in genetic test.

Anyone disagree?
Absolutely. We’re all cousins, no matter how you slice it.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:54 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Fife wrote:I'm willing to say that everyone reading this is a direct descendant of both Jesus and Julius. And just about everyone born 2,000 years ago. And that it can be "proved" by some mail-in genetic test.

Anyone disagree?
Absolutely. We’re all cousins, no matter how you slice it.
This actually works out for me, because I have a strong incest fetish. Its kind of like having a foot fetish and being on the beach.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Fife wrote:Gross.

If you all have the inside plumbing over there, I hope you at least understand the courtesy flush.
We have some pipes in florida, but they are not connected to any kind of septic system. They are mainly used for meth and crack.
Shikata ga nai

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Anyone disagree?
JC is my daddy?
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Pretty sure Fife did not read the book.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:02 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Pretty sure Fife did not read the book.
Touche.

I overlooked some facts in my rush to mock the latest mood ring fad.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:17 am

My dad did this. He got the results a couple days ago, so we sat at McDonald's and looked at it while drinking coffee. It was interesting for about 10 seconds. I watched a YouTube video comparing the 5 main companies using identical triplets as test subjects: 2 were spot on perfect, 2 were within spitting range, and 1 was suspect.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:28 am

For me, it's an opportunity to learn more about my old man's side of the family (I know next to nothing, beyond my dad and the stories he used to tell about his father and uncle).

Poking around a little bit with the records has revealed some interesting things; I'll wait for the DNA to come back and see what that says.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 am

I think the problem is that you get what you pay for, and I just don't see how much you can feasibly do with DNA testing for about a hundred dollars. A real DNA test (like for crime investigations and scientific research) costs you a few thousand dollars.

In hindsight, that's probably why the FDA said fuck no to the genetic health testing. Watch that video with identical twins getting wildly different results and think about what that would mean for hundred dollar genetic health tests.

This isn't the same thing that happens in a real DNA test that you pay thousands of dollars for.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:15 am

Your genetic history will reveal your family DNA, but not much about your family history. Here's some search tools for parish registers from Ireland and Britain:

http://registers.nli.ie/

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Latter link is a volunteer site and they're only partially through the transcription process. For non-English ancestry, you'd need those language skills in reading their parish registers, especially if they're not transcribed online. You can sometimes find and pay professional firms in Europe for that, but I'd recommend trying to contact the history department of a university in the respective country. Paying a (minimum) 2nd year history student to do the research is likely going to be cheaper.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.