Money for kids

Alexander PhiAlipson

Re: Money for kids

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:Money given to kids throughout their lifetime belongs to them. I put the kids' money into UGMA/UTMA investment accounts. It paid for part of their college education. One kid will even have a nice chunk of change left over. Ethics aside and just being practical, they will need that money much more later than you need it now.
Interesting. How do you set those up?

Also, I'm not certain that any amount of financial investment is going to outweigh inflation, or the impact of interest on our upcoming minivan purchase, but I'll listen to any educated opinions.

@okee - we have enough supply for 3 more kids ATM. ;)
I-bonds are inflation indexed and tax-free if used towards education.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:34 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:Money given to kids throughout their lifetime belongs to them. I put the kids' money into UGMA/UTMA investment accounts. It paid for part of their college education. One kid will even have a nice chunk of change left over. Ethics aside and just being practical, they will need that money much more later than you need it now.

Also, I'm not certain that any amount of financial investment is going to outweigh inflation, or the impact of interest on our upcoming minivan purchase, but I'll listen to any educated opinions.

Sounds like a way to give money that we could collect in grants.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

The interest is tax deferred(non-extant if used for educational purposes) and inflation indexed--I've just addressed your two issues above and you're talking about collecting grants? :?
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:13 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: I-bonds are inflation indexed and tax-free if used towards education.
The interest is tax deferred(non-extant if used for educational purposes) and inflation indexed--I've just addressed your two issues above and you're talking about collecting grants? :?
Well, you said it's earmarked for tuition, which has been inflating WAY faster than general inflation in the economy. And why bother spending/saving on tuition, when I can just sign the kid up for grants, etc. The more 'assets' they declare on a FAFSA, the less aid they get for tuition...

This is a perfect example of the perverse incentives in education.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:29 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Well, you said it's earmarked for tuition, which has been inflating WAY faster than general inflation in the economy. And why bother spending/saving on tuition, when I can just sign the kid up for grants, etc. The more 'assets' they declare on a FAFSA, the less aid they get for tuition...

Or you could get on board with the idea that, if you want it, you should work for it.

At this point, though, Marine Corps only. The Army's done.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:49 pm

There is exactly a zero chance that I'd support them going into the military, unless some pretty radical changes occur in the next two decades. Especially based on some weak interpretation of puritanical work ethic.

I'm all about work ethic and success, but also working smarter, not going the long way because "you should".

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:13 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:There is exactly a zero chance that I'd support them going into the military, unless some pretty radical changes occur in the next two decades. Especially based on some weak interpretation of puritanical work ethic.

I'm all about work ethic and success, but also working smarter, not going the long way because "you should".
Yeah, I knew you wouldn't go for it. If there's anything we've learned about you, it's that you ain't the working for it type.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Past a certain parental income point there are no grants, only loans. I'm screwed either way
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:51 am

Open a Pokerstars account for them and hope that by the time they're 18 your puritanical gambling laws have been abolished.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:11 am

California wrote:Past a certain parental income point there are no grants, only loans. I'm screwed either way
Even so, it's easy to "hide" significant income from interest of "your" money as "their" money simply by setting up savings accounts in their names which will generate some return without subjecting them to tax, or at least less tax it would be subjected to under your name. Every person is entitled to a standard deduction as well as a personal exemption--if a parent claims their child's personal deduction on their return, the child cannot claim it; however, the child is still entitled to a limited standard deduction and this will offset some--or even all--of that child's interest income. Then, when that child's simple savings account gets a little too big for such pettiness, that child may want to buy itself deferred tax bonds whose interest won't show until they're redeemed. Believe it or not, some children play safe bets in stocks! I know, crazy, right? 8-)