Diabetes

Speaker to Animals

Re: Diabetes

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:19 am

PartyOf5 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:33 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:43 pm
They just need to lose the weight, get fitter, and stop consuming sugar, alcohol and refined carbs.

Of course they have all sorts of shit going wrong. When you get fat, all sorts of shit is gone wrong in your body. People are probably poisoning themselves every day with shit food and alcohol. Their metabolism is fucked. They are completely insulin-resistant.

You have to turn that shit around. The moment you realize you have a belly you should know something is really fucking wrong with you. You have to fix that.
Not everyone fits into this convenient box. I wasn't diagnosed as diabetic until I crossed 40. I'm 6'1" and 180lbs. Without medication my blood sugar has gotten up to 500. I was on metformin until it stopped working. Now I have to take insulin every morning.

I do believe that being sedentary greatly contributes to it. I work a desk job, and force myself to go for walks every hour. That helps, but what really tends to bring down my blood sugar is exercise. Even just a 20 minute workout ends up dropping my sugars the next day by a noticeable amount.
I was talking about type II, which I don't even consider diabetes. Type II diabetes is almost all of the "diabetes" cases out there, and it's mostly caused by being fat and poor nutrition. Many people have "cured diabetes" because they had so-called type II diabetes and then decided to eat healthy and lose the fat.

1. Type II diabetes accounts for 95% of all diabetes cases in the US.

2. More than 90% of those people diagnoses with type II diabetes are obese.

3. Meta-analysis demonstrates that, after bariatric surgery, 86% of type II diabetes patients saw improvement or resolution to their disease.

https://asmbs.org/resources/weight-and- ... fact-sheet

If you have/had type II diabetes and were not overweight, then you could be in that 10% of cases, but those are outliers.

I do not place type II diabetes anywhere near the actual disease of diabetes (type I) in terms of severity and life impact. You can cure type II diabetes and it's (in the vast majority of cases) a result of poor life choices. When you become overweight, all sorts of fucked up shit happens in your body, this among them. You also have what people now call metabolic syndrome. You have insulin resistance. Your body doesn't even want to burn fat for energy like ever. Fat people can eat modest amounts of calories and still get fatter. Once you get there, so much shit has gone wrong, you have to treat your situation like total war.

PartyOf5

Re: Diabetes

Post by PartyOf5 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 am

I may be a type 1.5. My weight and overall physical health doesn't fit type 2, although I wasn't diagnosed until past the age of 40. My recent resistance to Metformin also places me more in 1.5 and out of type 2.