The Religion Discussion Thread

K@th

Re: The Religion Discussion Thread

Post by K@th » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Fife wrote:I want my Netflix for free. And, oh yeah, NO ADS.
Why must absolutely every single thing be monetized?

It used to be the bank I was a member of would count my change and deposit it for free. Now there's a change for the electricity and inconvenience of having to use a change counter, in order to deposit CASH into my account.

It used to be that gas station owners wouldn't leave you out to dry if you couldn't afford to fill your tire with air.

It used to be you could pay for a tv and antenna and get some tv with the understanding you'd watch commercials.

Now, we pay to have money deposited to our account.
New, we pay to use compressed air.
Now, we pay to get the service that gets us to the service that let's us get access to content we can watch, with the understanding we'll watch with commercials.

So, exactly how has society benefited from having to watch commercials for content by paying someone to let you pay someone to let you watch commercials for content?
Account abandoned.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:30 pm

In Kathistan, government pay *you* to watch TV.

Shoe Production Report and Two Minutes Hate come ad-free; is fundamental human right, da?

Seriously though, if you wonder why your bank charges you to count your money, you should tape a picture of Barney Frank to your coin bag. That will be a good daily reminder.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:50 am

Fife wrote:In Kathistan, government pay *you* to watch TV.

Shoe Production Report and Two Minutes Hate come ad-free; is fundamental human right, da?

Seriously though, if you wonder why your bank charges you to count your money, you should tape a picture of Barney Frank to your coin bag. That will be a good daily reminder.
The government's role in the finance sector is an interesting debate topic for sure Fife, but you have other things on your plate. Shouldn't you be a little more worried about the future of the Vols after you guys decided to get rid of Terry Schiavo for his Sandusky related activities? I doubt the government or the free market can bring that football program back from the dead.

Welcome to Gator Land Bitch!
Shikata ga nai

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:11 am

Kath wrote:
LVH2 wrote: would such a god be anything more than Spinoza's or maybe th how much really changes for them. They're certainly not going to be like, "oh shit, I'd better mutilate my penis and outlaw homosexuality!"
LVH, from my pov, your best post ever. Sums my thoughts nicely.
Thanks.

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:33 am

Fife wrote:In Kathistan, government pay *you* to watch TV.
:roll:
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:30 am

It's become clear that, in Libertarianstan, few of the luxuries of a developed world can be sustained and provided. Television will become increasingly locked down and saturated with ads and other bullshit, to the point where people just stop watching. Internet will become unusuable for most people, who subsequently check out from the global communication that it provides. One might as well go back to subsistence farming. That would represent a good outcome in Libertarianistan, since most people likely would end up as serfs in a nightmarish economic feudalism.

While that hyperbole was made in response to somebody else's ridiculous hyperbole, it's not far off from the truth. Ask the MSM outlets what happens when you abuse customers for too long with unchecked profit motive. Libertarians think everything will be better if businesses are free to maximize profit, but in reality, that often destroys businesses and can destroy entire sectors. People lose trust in those industries and, if possible, will simply stop using them. The only reason many people still have televisions today is because of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon streaming services. They don't pay for cable television. If the cable companies are free to go back to the days when they throttled Netflix traffic like Comcast did to me, people will stop paying for Netflix, but they likely won't purchase cable television packages either. The next to go is the fucking television itself. What's the point of it occupying prime real estate in your home when you can't even watch anything on it other than media you physically purchase?

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:28 am

Luddite wet dreams, in the broad daylight, ladies and germs.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Fife wrote:Luddite wet dreams, in the broad daylight, ladies and germs.
Thats pretty tough talk from a guy where electric fans are still a curiosity. Tennesseans are routinely viewed as Luddites by the Amish.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Where I come from, what you think of as the "Tennesseans" are the super-rich assholes.

:goteam: :drunk:

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 pm

I have family that lives pretty close to Murfresboro. Respectable cattle and soy farmers, definitely not snobby. My mom is Vols alumni, and she is not taking any of this stuff well lol.
Shikata ga nai