The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Xenophon

Re: The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Post by Xenophon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:00 am

DBTrek wrote:
Xenophon wrote:Can I still drink black coffee?
Hell yes you can.

One benefit I neglected to mention was suppressed appetite. After your body slips into ketosis you'll feel considerably less hungry than before. So on the topic of black coffee, you can drink it like you always do - or- if you want to go the DBTrek route you can spike it with MCT oil and call it a meal, because you won't be hungry for a while afterward.

I should probably mention things like caffeine, alcohol, and other medications/intoxicants may have a considerably stronger effect on your system when you're in ketosis though. So your regular dose of coffee might hit you like a train of crazed weasels.
Good Lord, I hope so. I'm about to have another kid in 4 weeks. I'm going to need some extra oomph.

Challenge accepted.

EDIT: This isn't one of those anecdotal things that result in death, is it? You know, like if you've been smoking for 50 years and decide to quit and your body shuts down and you die.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:04 am

DBTrek wrote:
C-Mag wrote:+1

I love it too. But I find myself on and off the diet. Generally seasonally, consuming carbs at the worst time of the year, Winter.
I swing 20 pounds seasonally. Almost seems natural to me now. I would have to agree, being no a predator diet makes you sharper and gives you more energy.
There you have it folks.

That's the other thing that's nice about the ketogenic diet - it's not a life sentence. You want those amped up predator powers - get into ketosis. You want to hit Oktoberfest and guzzle pints of fine German ale while wolfing down brats - go for it. Enjoy food when you want to enjoy it, use food like your slave when you're ready to get down to biz.

+1 to Martin for Atkins, which is a cousin of the ketogenic. Low carb, slow carb, Atkins, or ketogenic . . . it all depends on your goals. But I'm telling you right now that there's more power inside of you, locked away behind some apathetic dietary habits, than you may realize. And it only takes a couple days of commitment to discover how you *could* be operating vs. how you have been operating.
Dangerous History 87: Grain and the State.
Grain is the diet of Slaves

http://profcj.org/grain-and-the-state/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:07 am

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Poll: Is there a correlation at Hashwerks of our most liberty minded folks consuming a low carb diet, conversely do our more collectivist members have a high carb diet ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 am

C-Mag wrote::idea: :idea: :idea:

Poll: Is there a correlation at Hashwerks of our most liberty minded folks consuming a low carb diet, conversely do our more collectivist members have a high carb diet ?
I eat a lot of bread. If you call me a collectivist, well, them's fightin' words.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:11 am

Fife wrote:Tell me more about MCT oil in the coffee. I'm on my third cup this morning (late night at the Preds game (not much ketosis going on there, I'm afraid)), and my third teaspoon of coconut oil per cup. I've developed a taste for coconut oil in my coffee; give me the TLDR on MCT.
You're already invested, boss. MCT oil is what makes your coconut oil so healthy. If coconuts were opium poppies MCT oil is the heroin. The benefits of MCT oil (and to a lesser degree coconut oil) include:
  • Appetite reduction and weight loss
    Improved cognitive and neurological function with possible implications in neurodegerative diseases
    Increased energy levels and improved athletic performance
    Improved mitochondrial function and subsequent reduced risk for diseases such as atherosclerosis, diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune diseases and epilepsy4
    As part of a specialized dietary therapy for the treatment of epilepsy
    Prevention of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
Link
Xenophon wrote:Good Lord, I hope so. I'm about to have another kid in 4 weeks. I'm going to need some extra oomph.

Challenge accepted.

EDIT: This isn't one of those anecdotal things that result in death, is it? You know, like if you've been smoking for 50 years and decide to quit and your body shuts down and you die.
Congrats, and you'll definitely benefit from the extra energy. No, you won't fall over dead. Not until you hit Ketoacidosis at least, and you'd have a lot of warning before it came to that. You can put yourself in ketosis and take yourself out at will. Some epileptics are intentionally put into ketosis.

(That link is the WebMD article that takes a very conservative approach to describing the benefits and a very liberal approach to describing the "dangers".)
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 am

Hey, you can still eat 2 crunchy original tacos at the Bell if you get a hankerin'. And a low-carb (lettuce-wrapped) Six-dollar burger at Jr.'s is to-die-for.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:18 am

If you're insinuating I'm eating high carb I assure you I'm not. I eat on five dollars a day so it's mostly nuts and canned beans.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 am

TheReal_ND wrote:I can't afford meat though...
That's a bummer. I got no solution for that one . . . at least, none that doesn't involve squirrel hunting and slow cooking with a spit over a burning barrel.
Something to file away for better days then.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donuts?!? YOU MEAN SLAVE CAKES!!!
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 am

...I should buy a sling bow

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:39 am

:shifty:

Me thinks people don't like to be called Collectivists, directly or indirectly. :D

@DBTrek - Slave Cakes :clap:
I will be stealing that.
PLATA O PLOMO