Is the left prepared to beat a socially liberal right?

Hwen Hoshino

Is the left prepared to beat a socially liberal right?

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:19 am

I remember years ago the only answer i could get out of them: that will never happen, they are slaves to their religion etc...

Is it? Were they ever prepared?

katarn

Re: Is the left prepared to beat a socially liberal right?

Post by katarn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:I remember years ago the only answer i could get out of them: that will never happen, they are slaves to their religion etc...

Is it? Were they ever prepared?
I don't see what the left can use to appeal to a majority of the population now. Even in cases where their views are mostly more supported, they still lose right now. This could be a result of the backlash of the right- things like anti-PC have gone far over the moderate views the majority of the population tends to hold, over to deliberately seeking to inflict emotional pain (note: I personally don't care if you get offended, I'm not moderating a thing for your feelings, but I also don''t need to go out of my way to incite you).

The right is much more socially liberal now from what I can see. I find this to be a result of old liberals disgusted with their party coming over (people like Rubin for example) and a more general acceptance of leftist social views like gay marriage. There are always those idiots who don't think on both sides, and remain regressive and anathema to the current thought, but the general trend of the right has definitel been to move left, especially on social issues.

Because social issues are the easiest place to score points (since they really require no in depth knowledge like economics or foreign relations) the left has now lost its breeding ground for moderates and impressionable and idealist youth to an increasingly tolerant right, and they haven't implemented a solution. Doubling down on obvious untruths about the intolerant rights won't work with the same share of youth that is has in the past.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace