Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Haumana » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:53 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:22 pm
Haumana wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:03 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:58 pm

That is going to be the challenge... I have a friend that has some free-range chickens... oy, are they a PITA if you don't get a good batch with a even personality.
They aren't that bad. The trick is in keeping the roosters to a minimum and only let the good roosters hang around. Also, there are good hens that can raise chicks successfully and there are bad hens that have a 90%+ mortality rate. But all the eggs are good eggs.
As long as they are for eating I'll agree there.
Here is Mimi's cookbook.
https://www.toomanyeggs.com/

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:39 pm

Haumana wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:53 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:22 pm
Haumana wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:03 pm

They aren't that bad. The trick is in keeping the roosters to a minimum and only let the good roosters hang around. Also, there are good hens that can raise chicks successfully and there are bad hens that have a 90%+ mortality rate. But all the eggs are good eggs.
As long as they are for eating I'll agree there.
Here is Mimi's cookbook.
https://www.toomanyeggs.com/
Cool. I'll indefinitely look into it. Always looking for good recipes.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 14, 2023 9:53 pm

Wow, just realized I haven't updated this thread in a month. So much has happened...

Meat chicks arrived a week after the egg birds. 30 Red Rangers to brood, along with all the chaos of moving and getting the old place ready for sale. It's been busy.

Managed to replace the siding and floor on the coop, and waterproof the new plywood with roof sealant (Blackjack 57 - good shit). Installed doors to access the nesting boxes, and attached a rain barrel to the gutter. Got an automatic door that works on a timer to let them out in the morning.

This week we received another 8 hens from FIL, everybody was too crowded, so they all went to the coop. Deep bedding on the floor - 4 inches to start, eventually building to 12-14" as needed.

I started out buying feed from TSC for $30/bag. Eventually sourced it from a grain mill in Amish country - $14/bag! Given an expected 15lbs per bird, and $4/bird, we get $9 for a whole organic chicken. I can save an extra couple bucks with the "fry pan special" from Meyer hatchery. Going to try that for the second batch in a few weeks. You get unwanted baby roos for $1.50 each, no availability issues.

Chicken tractor just needs a few finishing touches, and some warmer weather. I'll be moving the Rangers out there next weekend.

It's been a lot of work, but from here it's just going to be rinse/repeat. Chickens are EASY! Looking at starting my pork operation this summer/fall, after some more research and infrastructure. For now, just focusing on cleaning out yard trash from the previous owners, and clearing out undergrowth from the woods/creek area.

Best time of my life.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun May 14, 2023 10:34 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:53 pm
Wow, just realized I haven't updated this thread in a month. So much has happened...

Meat chicks arrived a week after the egg birds. 30 Red Rangers to brood, along with all the chaos of moving and getting the old place ready for sale. It's been busy.

Managed to replace the siding and floor on the coop, and waterproof the new plywood with roof sealant (Blackjack 57 - good shit). Installed doors to access the nesting boxes, and attached a rain barrel to the gutter. Got an automatic door that works on a timer to let them out in the morning.

This week we received another 8 hens from FIL, everybody was too crowded, so they all went to the coop. Deep bedding on the floor - 4 inches to start, eventually building to 12-14" as needed.

I started out buying feed from TSC for $30/bag. Eventually sourced it from a grain mill in Amish country - $14/bag! Given an expected 15lbs per bird, and $4/bird, we get $9 for a whole organic chicken. I can save an extra couple bucks with the "fry pan special" from Meyer hatchery. Going to try that for the second batch in a few weeks. You get unwanted baby roos for $1.50 each, no availability issues.

Chicken tractor just needs a few finishing touches, and some warmer weather. I'll be moving the Rangers out there next weekend.

It's been a lot of work, but from here it's just going to be rinse/repeat. Chickens are EASY! Looking at starting my pork operation this summer/fall, after some more research and infrastructure. For now, just focusing on cleaning out yard trash from the previous owners, and clearing out undergrowth from the woods/creek area.

Best time of my life.
That's badass. Feed over here is 30-40 for organic. 20 something from Walmart.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon May 15, 2023 4:28 am

:angelic-blueglow:
Haumana wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:34 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:53 pm

Best time of my life.
That's badass. Feed over here is 30-40 for organic. 20 something from Walmart.
Everything is more expensive in Hawaii.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 25, 2023 11:42 am

Chicken tractor completed. On to the piggies!
IMG_1309.jpeg
IMG_1308.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu May 25, 2023 12:20 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:42 am

IMG_1309.jpegIMG_1308.jpeg
Where's the roosting area? Need some crossmembers for them to hop up on to at night.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 25, 2023 12:30 pm

Haumana wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:20 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Where's the roosting area? Need some crossmembers for them to hop up on to at night.
Dammit you’re right. I’ll put some in

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu May 25, 2023 1:06 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:30 pm
Haumana wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Just toss some 1x or 2x end screwed into that top 2x4. They'll be good. What kind of waterer do you got going on?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 25, 2023 2:07 pm

Haumana wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:06 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:30 pm
Haumana wrote:

Just toss some 1x or 2x end screwed into that top 2x4. They'll be good. What kind of waterer do you got going on?
We tried nipple waterers but the chickens don’t like them so far. I’ll try it again for a day when they go in the tractor.

Otherwise 2-gal waterer on the ground.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace