Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Montegriffo

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am

While most people store potatoes indoors in a cellar or the like, storing potatoes in the ground has long been a traditional storage method, using potato pits for winter storage. When creating a potato pit, proper construction is the key to preventing rot in the spuds and allowing you to dig out only the few you need at any one time.
Creating a potato pit is a simple matter. First, locate an area outdoors that remains fairly dry, such as a slope or hill. Don’t choose a spot where rainwater tends to pool, as the stored spuds will rot. When creating a potato pit, dig a 1- to 2-foot deep pit at a width dependent upon the number of potatoes you wish to store. Then fill the bottom of the pit with 3 inches of clean, dry straw and place the potatoes atop in a single layer. You may store up to two bushels of potatoes in a single pit or 16 dry gallons if you can’t wrap your brain around a peck or a bushel. Add another deep layer of straw on top of the potatoes, between 1 and 3 feet deep, depending upon the severity of the weather in your region. Finally, put the previously excavated soil from the pit back on top, covering the newly laid straw until it is at least 3 inches thick and no straw is exposed. In extreme climates or just for additional protection, you can dig the pit deeper than recommended above and put a clean plastic barrel at a 45-degree angle into the pit. Fill the barrel with the tubers and place a lid on it, loosely closed. Then follow instructions above beginning with covering the barrel with 1-3 feet of straw. Using potato pits for winter storage should protect the spuds for 120 days or at least through the winter months.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Storing Potatoes In Ground: Using Potato Pits For Winter Storage https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... ground.htm
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Monte, you just gave me my answer, I have a place to store spuds.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:13 pm

I have a pump pit that is 7 feet deep. It's 5' X 5' inside dimensions, concrete.
All that is in it is the pump, a few pipes and a pressure tank.
It doesn't freeze all winter, no light.

I'm going to bag up my spuds in 5 lb burlap sacks, and lower them down into the pit hanging from a light rope. Then I will just retrieve one bag at a time as needed.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:14 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 pm
Monte, you just gave me my answer, I have a place to store spuds.
Might be worth reading the whole article first.
Generally speaking, storing potatoes in the ground is not the most recommended method, especially for any long term storage. Leaving the tubers in the ground under a heavy layer of dirt that may eventually become wet will most certainly create conditions that will either rot the potato or encourage sprouting. Cool humid conditions of 38-45 F. (3-7 C.) found in cellars or basements are ideal for most potato storage.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Storing Potatoes In Ground: Using Potato Pits For Winter Storage https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... ground.htm
A waterproof tarp over the top may well reduce the risk of getting them wet though.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:13 pm
I have a pump pit that is 7 feet deep. It's 5' X 5' inside dimensions, concrete.
All that is in it is the pump, a few pipes and a pressure tank.
It doesn't freeze all winter, no light.

I'm going to bag up my spuds in 5 lb burlap sacks, and lower them down into the pit hanging from a light rope. Then I will just retrieve one bag at a time as needed.
Ah, that sounds ideal.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:16 pm

I'm going to run a test run starting today.

It's still freezing at night and will be for the next few weeks.

I appreciate you guys helping me find a possible solution.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:18 pm

Around here they store them in the cold war aircraft hangers at the former RAF base in Bentwaters where I do the occasional bit of film and TV catering.
The nuclear bomb-proof bunkers are full of fireworks.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:16 pm

Make sure it’s not too dry down there. You don’t want to dry them. Ideally you want them spread out not to deep to avoid pressure on the bottom. Placed on earth you can get them to go into hibernation. That is the goal. Other fruit dies when you pick them and you just try to delay the decay. A potato is more like a seed, not dead and not yet alive. If it doesn’t sprout or rot you can keep it for a looong time.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:03 pm

Hastur wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pm
C-Mag wrote:

Make sure it’s not too dry down there. You don’t want to dry them. Ideally you want them spread out not to deep to avoid pressure on the bottom. Placed on earth you can get them to go into hibernation. That is the goal. Other fruit dies when you pick them and you just try to delay the decay. A potato is more like a seed, not dead and not yet alive. If it doesn’t sprout or rot you can keep it for a looong time.
How much are people freaking out from this thing in Scandinavia and are Finnish people white, thank you!
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:16 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:03 pm
Hastur wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pm
C-Mag wrote:

How much are people freaking out from this thing in Scandinavia and are Finnish people white, thank you!
Hastur is Norwegian. While he might not be offended at you mislabeling his ethnicity, I am offended by proxy. And no, Finns are not white. They are white presenting though.
Shikata ga nai