Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Speaker to Animals

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:18 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:44 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:48 pm
I still need to fill my freezer with some meat. I want to get extra paper towels and toilet paper. Probably more lysol, soap, and hand sanitizer.

Not self-reliant by any means, but I have a solid amount of time I can ride it out as long as I don't lose power and water.

I had been slowly building that emergency food supply over the course of five years, so I do have that going for me, and then about three months worth of dry goods I bought this month. Just need meat and the pray they keep the power on.

I was watching local videos coming out of Wuhan's lock down, and it occurred to me that we need to have entertainment squared away. Plenty of batteries for game controllers, etc. Those people are losing their minds in boredom. Probably a vital prep here is to have some projects set aside to work on so that you come out of lock down stronger than you went in rather than just surviving, which is the difference between antifragility and robustness, in the Taleb sense.

In hindsight, one antifragile investment strategy would have been to assume a pandemic would someday be very possible and to stake out positions in all the little biotech firms that develop vaccines for these things. Also invest in any manufacturing that produces necessary medical supplies in regions where most of those supplies are outsourced now. It's not a position that you take to make money each year, but one that will pay off big if the event you planned for occurs. Going forward, it might behoove folks to think about what other fat tail risks we could encounter to do something similar.
If the power goes down for an extended period of time shits gonna get Western in a hurry.

Entertainment is a smart thing. I think digital entertainment is good, but a lot of folks are going to need social interaction, either face to face or digital.

We have a bunch of analog entertainment. Old board games getting dusty on a back corner. Cards are great because you can play so many different games. Lately we've gotten some great enjoyment out of puzzles. It's a slow pace activity with good times to talk.
My main thing is going to be calisthenics and prison-style burpees every day all day to get ripped, continue learning full stack development (mainly Angular and MongoDB), and maybe writing some short stories. Other than that, just video games.

I am not really planning for power outages. I do not think it will come anywhere close to that. It’s just a time we need to stay at home for a month or two, only people in critical jobs going out. If the CCP can figure out how to keep Wuhan running under mandatory lock downs, so can we. Our culture is not nearly as intransigent and out of control as theirs, and our government — as bad as it is — not nearly as much of a shut show as the CCP.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:54 am

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:54 am

I bet they cringe inside whenever Anglos pronounce their brand as Todo because we tend to use the voiced dentular stop in place of the voiceless dental phoneme.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 am

I bet they cringe inside whenever Anglos pronounce their brand as Todo because we tend to use the voiced dentular stop in place of the voiceless dental phoneme.
You would say something like that...
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:10 am

Suddenly chicks want to date Preppers. LOL
https://www.reddit.com/r/preppers/comme ... a_prepper/

Here's the text, is she legit, or just desperately looking for security in the Age of Bat Aids ?
I used to be a prepper when I had a house to settle down in. (Female here, 29 y/o). It wasn’t much, but I had a gun, some backup water, general survival gear, some food stock piles, etc.

Then I moved to another country and left it all behind. Because I’ve moved a lot in a short amount of time, I haven’t prepped like I used to. I can only survive a month or two on my small preps.
I’m single. And this scenario is making me consider my lifestyle - I want a partner. I see everyone prepping with families for support. I have to do this alone. I’ve decided that one of the qualities my future husband should have is to be a prepper like me.

I want to be a survivor. And he needs to think the same. I guess I’m just writing this to vent, to hear others who feel the same, for emotional support, for those who understand. That’s all. Thanks, prepper community on reddit - I feel like we are in this together (even if I’m currently alone).
Note, some funny responses to this.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:36 am

My shelves are 6'2'' and well stocked...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:36 am
My shelves are 6'2'' and well stocked...
EXACTLY !

I believe the chick for a second about previously being a prepper. She's just scared and is willing to trade pussy and blow jobs for food and security.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:28 pm

My wife is 5'4" and well stocked, problem solved.
Nec Aspera Terrent

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:00 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:14 pm
Should have used a hot spoon. Bloody amateurs. SMH
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.