Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

C-Mag

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:43 pm

I've been on my brother for about 4 months about his 3 point tiller he's not using anymore. He called me tonight and said he let me use it, I'll try to buy it from him.

New their about $2500. I know he bought it for about $200. It's old and going to need some work, but it's going to really help me prepare my garden and fields. Now I will be able to till my fields, and reseed them with grass. Which needs to be done.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:48 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:36 pm
Nicely done.

Have you considered Quail ?
I think you can raise them on a tiny footprint.
City ordinance. Another reason I’m trying to get more rural.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:51 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:48 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Nicely done.

Dirty Rotten Commies !
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:55 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:51 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:48 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Nicely done.

Dirty Rotten Commies !
I blame the crony capitalists for that one, actually.

Commies never restricted livestock, just as long as everyone had some.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:12 am

How about dogs? I bet there's no rule against keeping them,
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Penner

Post by Penner » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:48 pm
I still need to fill my freezer with some meat. I want to get extra paper towels and toilet paper. Probably more lysol, soap, and hand sanitizer.

Not self-reliant by any means, but I have a solid amount of time I can ride it out as long as I don't lose power and water.

I had been slowly building that emergency food supply over the course of five years, so I do have that going for me, and then about three months worth of dry goods I bought this month. Just need meat and the pray they keep the power on.

I was watching local videos coming out of Wuhan's lock down, and it occurred to me that we need to have entertainment squared away. Plenty of batteries for game controllers, etc. Those people are losing their minds in boredom. Probably a vital prep here is to have some projects set aside to work on so that you come out of lock down stronger than you went in rather than just surviving, which is the difference between antifragility and robustness, in the Taleb sense.

In hindsight, one antifragile investment strategy would have been to assume a pandemic would someday be very possible and to stake out positions in all the little biotech firms that develop vaccines for these things. Also invest in any manufacturing that produces necessary medical supplies in regions where most of those supplies are outsourced now. It's not a position that you take to make money each year, but one that will pay off big if the event you planned for occurs. Going forward, it might behoove folks to think about what other fat tail risks we could encounter to do something similar.
People can never have enough toilet paper and paper towels. I am thinking of just installing a bidet and be done with it.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:39 am

Penner wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 am

People can never have enough toilet paper and paper towels. I am thinking of just installing a bidet and be done with it.
Hi Penner
Haven't seen you in a long time. How are you doing ?

I agree Shit Tickets are going to be at a premium when folks start running out of them. Paper towels, plates and cups will also be valuable. Anyone that camps understands how nice it is to be able to burn your plate, rather than clean and sterilize it.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:44 am

I still need to fill my freezer with some meat. I want to get extra paper towels and toilet paper. Probably more lysol, soap, and hand sanitizer.

Not self-reliant by any means, but I have a solid amount of time I can ride it out as long as I don't lose power and water.

I had been slowly building that emergency food supply over the course of five years, so I do have that going for me, and then about three months worth of dry goods I bought this month. Just need meat and the pray they keep the power on.

I was watching local videos coming out of Wuhan's lock down, and it occurred to me that we need to have entertainment squared away. Plenty of batteries for game controllers, etc. Those people are losing their minds in boredom. Probably a vital prep here is to have some projects set aside to work on so that you come out of lock down stronger than you went in rather than just surviving, which is the difference between antifragility and robustness, in the Taleb sense.

In hindsight, one antifragile investment strategy would have been to assume a pandemic would someday be very possible and to stake out positions in all the little biotech firms that develop vaccines for these things. Also invest in any manufacturing that produces necessary medical supplies in regions where most of those supplies are outsourced now. It's not a position that you take to make money each year, but one that will pay off big if the event you planned for occurs. Going forward, it might behoove folks to think about what other fat tail risks we could encounter to do something similar.
If the power goes down for an extended period of time shits gonna get Western in a hurry.

Entertainment is a smart thing. I think digital entertainment is good, but a lot of folks are going to need social interaction, either face to face or digital.

We have a bunch of analog entertainment. Old board games getting dusty on a back corner. Cards are great because you can play so many different games. Lately we've gotten some great enjoyment out of puzzles. It's a slow pace activity with good times to talk.
PLATA O PLOMO

Penner

Post by Penner » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:00 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:39 am
Penner wrote:

Hi Penner
Haven't seen you in a long time. How are you doing ?

I agree Shit Tickets are going to be at a premium when folks start running out of them. Paper towels, plates and cups will also be valuable. Anyone that camps understands how nice it is to be able to burn your plate, rather than clean and sterilize it.
I am doing fine and also I should know that where I am from when it snows the first things that people grab are those items. Also bread and milk as well.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:13 am

Penner wrote:

I want one of those too. I am compulsive enough to take a shower afterward anyway. A bidet might be cheaper, but I am not sure about the cleanliness of such a thing. It might make more sense to get one that attaches to a normal large toilet bowl.