Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

C-Mag

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by C-Mag » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Who had a garden this year ? I know Suburban Farmer did, anyone else ?

My harvest was weak, pests, vermin and weather fucked me. Still managed to harvest a lot of Butternut Squash, fair amount of potatoes, lettuce, onions and tomatoes.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:11 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:58 pm
Who had a garden this year ? I know Suburban Farmer did, anyone else ?

My harvest was weak, pests, vermin and weather fucked me. Still managed to harvest a lot of Butternut Squash, fair amount of potatoes, lettuce, onions and tomatoes.
I got a boatload of breadfruit off the tree. Next harvest time is gonna have to be dealt with differently, I had like 30+ volleyball sized fruit. Passed them all out to the neighbors, made hummus, chips and got some into our freezer. Lilikoi vine is taking off but only have had 3 fruits thus far. Basil and spinach go nuts but tomatoes and corn, not so much. I think they are winter vegetable out here. The lemon and lime trees are struggling but the avocado and artichoke seems to be getting quite established but they are a few years away from producing yet. Potatoes sucked too, we got a few but definitely not worth the effort or dirt. Hopefully I get a coconut tree in the ground this year.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 pm

Dude, where do you live, the South Pacific ?

That's really cool, I guess I didn't realize you lived somewhere you could grow Breadfruit.
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:20 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 pm

That's really cool, I guess I didn't realize you lived somewhere you could grow Breadfruit.
Oahu, Hawaii. Out in the boonies. An hour or so to the nearest town of any real size and a bit more to get to Honolulu. Two years last Tuesday that we liquidated our California shit and landed here.

It's been interesting trying to figure out what stuff grows and when here.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:27 pm

Haumana wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:20 pm
C-Mag wrote:

Oahu, Hawaii. Out in the boonies. An hour or so to the nearest town of any real size and a bit more to get to Honolulu. Two years last Tuesday that we liquidated our California shit and landed here.

I've been to Oahu like 5 times, only one not military. You have to work pretty hard to get an hour away from a town on Oahu.
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:31 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:27 pm
Haumana wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:20 pm
C-Mag wrote:

I've been to Oahu like 5 times, only one not military. You have to work pretty hard to get an hour away from a town on Oahu.
We did. Out near the Mormon Temple in Laie, Hauula to be exact. It's her families' stomping ground. Temple land was her family's land before they gave it all over to the church.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:36 pm

OK, I've got a good idea of where that is. There's a really good Shrimp stand in that general area isn't there.

My uncle grew up on Koolawe.
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:39 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:36 pm
OK, I've got a good idea of where that is. There's a really good Shrimp stand in that general area isn't there.

HA! Yeah, there are a couple of shrimp trucks out this way. A big shrimp farm out near Turtle Bay. Giovanni's and then there there is the Yellow Shrimp Shack a few miles to the south of us. Damnedest thing though, You cannot buy fresh shrimp around here.

"My uncle grew up on Koolawe."

Wow! I am still working my over to get to Molokai. SouthWest is going to help break Hawaiian Airline's stranglehold on the market and get these inter island fares reasonable again.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:50 pm

Haumana wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:39 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:36 pm

HA! Yeah, there are a couple of shrimp trucks out this way. A big shrimp farm out near Turtle Bay. Giovanni's and then there there is the Yellow Shrimp Shack a few miles to the south of us. Damnedest thing though, You cannot buy fresh shrimp around here.

"My uncle grew up on Koolawe."

Wow! I am still working my over to get to Molokai. SouthWest is going to help break Hawaiian Airline's stranglehold on the market and get these inter island fares reasonable again.
My uncle was the last family on Kahoolawe before the Navy took it. I've talked about him before. He was like a Forest Gump. Watch the Japs fly over his head bombing Pearl, raised ships out of the bay, joined the Army Air Corps, body guard for Goering at Nuremburg, was at Nuclear Testing near Johnson Atol, worked on ICBMs.

My wife wants to go back. I'll be contacting you for a beer if we do.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:51 am

My garden pretty much sucked too. Weeds, more than anything, as we didn’t have time to take care of them. Two toddlers is just too much.

We did manage to keep the immediate area clear around our plants though, and we got a few lbs of cherry tomatoes, a dozen cucumbers, and some more. Didn’t do beans this year, but didn’t need to. We’re still finishing off the pile from last year.
Onions did well too, which was a shocker. Couldn’t even get them to come up last year.

I planted 2 more apple trees, and my grapevines gave their first little bunch.

It’s about time to take it all down and plant the winter wheat cover crop. Hopefully this will refuel the soil for next year. I’m planning to use my little farmhands all summer. :)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0