Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

brewster

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by brewster » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:32 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 pm
Yeah, a little digging says it's the water here.

I know that guy who created and runs Sierra Nevada does not fuck around at all. There had to be a reason he'd build a satellite brewery here of all places.
Given that the bottled water companies can purify city water and tune it's mineral content like a violin for pennies per bottle, I'd say it's way more likely the cheap labor of a "right to work" state was a bigger factor.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:38 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:32 pm

I know that guy who created and runs Sierra Nevada does not fuck around at all. There had to be a reason he'd build a satellite brewery here of all places.
Given that the bottled water companies can purify city water and tune it's mineral content like a violin for pennies per bottle, I'd say it's way more likely the cheap labor of a "right to work" state was a bigger factor.
:lol:

No, it's the water. I am not searching for the information a second time. You can do it yourself.

Water is the reason why certain areas always had breweries clustered around them.

Most of the breweries around here don't hire many people at all that actually do the brewing. It's the people who started the brewery doing that, and the people they hire will manage the venue for the public to come and drink (bartenders, cooks, etc).
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:38 pm

brewster wrote:

Not a purist or a fan of great ales?
Any brewer worth his malt would take natural spring water over processed drinking water. It's a very traditional industry.
I'm talking about the UK but I imagine that brewers are the same the world over.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:42 pm

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:38 pm
brewster wrote:

No, it's the water. I am not searching for the information a second time. You can do it yourself.

Water is the reason why certain areas always had breweries clustered around them.

Most of the breweries around here don't hire many people at all that actually do the brewing. It's the people who started the brewery doing that, and the people they hire will manage the venue for the public to come and drink (bartenders, cooks, etc).
Population density is probably a large factor in brewery locations. Burton has the advantage of being less than 10 miles from central Manchester and is on the canal system.
Less important today with the advances in transportation.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:47 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:42 pm
brewster wrote:

Population density is probably a large factor in brewery locations. Burton has the advantage of being less than 10 miles from central Manchester and is on the canal system.
Less important today with the advances in transportation.
Yeah, unless you have access to a really good distributor, but margins are tight like that.

I know the Asheville area is pushing it with only 80k people. Probably one of the highest barrel to person ratios around.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:52 pm

What is the Asheville aquifer like?

I'm guessing there must just some awesome springs around up in the hills. But I'm just guessing.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:55 pm

Fife wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:52 pm
What is the Asheville aquifer like?

I'm guessing there must just some awesome springs around up in the hills. But I'm just guessing.
It's actually in Black Mountain. It's a giant reservoir the towns around here collaborated and built. Then the state tried to seize it and take the water for the cities that didn't have the foresight. Not sure where that went.

The water situation here is actually really interesting on political and civil engineering levels. This was a major theme of that apocalyptic novel 3 Seconds After. The area had significant advantage because we had plenty of potable water. Thus, an army of liberals tried to invade coming over through the pass between Black Mountain and Old Fort. The retired Army commander met them at the pass where they were pinned and set everything on fire like a fucking champion. The liberals in Asheville didn't lift a finger, letting the Trad Americans in the surrounding area act as buffer states.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:59 pm

You might actually find the legal aspect interesting:

http://www.thetribunepapers.com/2016/02 ... er-system/

Our region independently built this water system. We have water for generations here. Then the state decided they wanted to take control of it. Big legal battle ensued.

The state supreme court btfo of the state legislature in 2016:
On December 21, 2016, the NC Supreme Court ruled in favor of the City of Asheville in a long-standing dispute over the City’s right to own and operate their water system, overruling a lower court’s decision. (Read the City of Asheville’s statement). This decision recognizes the inherent connection between water utility governance and human health, and denies the NC General Assembly’s attempt to pass local legislation to involuntarily transfer drinking water assets from one entity to another.

This decision sets a statewide precedent which is good for all local governments who are tasked with responsibly governing vital public resources, assuring them that they will not suddenly lose control of assets they have worked to invest in, and that regional partnerships to provide communities with drinking water come about when local residents support them, not as a result of legislative mandates. CWFNC supports public, locally owned drinking water for many reasons. Local governments are usually responsive to residents’ concerns, knowledgeable about local problems and resources, and accountable to their constituents when it comes time to make an important decision. This cannot be said for private utilities or levels of government that are too far removed from a local community.
https://cwfnc.org/drinking-water/nc-sup ... r-lawsuit/

It sort of shows you why I think the lefties here are not exactly in sync with the urban lefties, even if they themselves don't realize it. Think locally; act locally.. in force.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:02 pm

You mean like Brooklyn in the 19th century?

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... the-world/
For a while the beer flowed from Brooklyn as if from a broken spigot. With 45 breweries at the turn of the century — including 11 on one 12-block stretch in Williamsburg — at its peak, Brooklyn produced a significant share of the nation’s beer.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:04 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:02 pm
You mean like Brooklyn in the 19th century?

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... the-world/
For a while the beer flowed from Brooklyn as if from a broken spigot. With 45 breweries at the turn of the century — including 11 on one 12-block stretch in Williamsburg — at its peak, Brooklyn produced a significant share of the nation’s beer.
No, genius. Like Milwaukee, Colorado, etc.

Access to clean water was important, as was access to ice.

Brewing and water supply were always connected. That doesn't mean there were cities with no breweries because their water was garbage.