Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

TheReal_ND

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:59 am
Man found with Thousands of guns, selling and manufacturing in wealthy LA neighborhood

https://patch.com/california/los-angele ... tty-family

Based and lead pilled

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat May 18, 2019 11:14 am

Ebola likely to break containment. Deaths mounting.
https://www.voanews.com/a/ebola-outbrea ... 13176.html

Closer to home, minor diseases spreading in US
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 am

Has AvE been posted here before? This channel strikes me as to being right up Cmag's alley. Dude does the most in depth tool and appliance reviews going. He does all kinds of other cool shit too, CNC, electronics, machining and troubleshooting. His knowledge and self reliance is worth tapping in to.

Blender review

Breakdown of that Seattle tower crane collapse.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 21, 2019 7:55 am

Haumana wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 am
Has AvE been posted here before? This channel strikes me as to being right up Cmag's alley. Dude does the most in depth tool and appliance reviews going. He does all kinds of other cool shit too, CNC, electronics, machining and troubleshooting. His knowledge and self reliance is worth tapping in to.
It is right up my alley. I've watched some of his stuff before. He's pretty fucking sharp. He displays a wide body of knowledge in mechanical engineering...…………. Funny Too.
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue May 21, 2019 11:28 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:55 am
It is right up my alley. I've watched some of his stuff before. He's pretty fucking sharp. He displays a wide body of knowledge in mechanical engineering...…………. Funny Too.
Super sharp. I've been deep diving on his channel as of late. He is hilarious, anyone can tell he has spent a large part of his time out in the field "doing". He isn't one to take no for an answer.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Haumana wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:28 am
C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:55 am
Super sharp. I've been deep diving on his channel as of late. He is hilarious, anyone can tell he has spent a large part of his time out in the field "doing". He isn't one to take no for an answer.
Agreed.
Guys like him with decades of experiencing 'doing' are Meta's compared to most of us. I have a brother that is a mechanical prodigy with mechanical things like vehicles and equipment. It's really amazing the depth of their knowledge and intelligence to just understand how things operate. These people see how components work together without a schematic.

If I have to rebuild the world I just want to be around one guy like that.
PLATA O PLOMO

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue May 21, 2019 2:05 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 pm
Agreed.
Guys like him with decades of experiencing 'doing' are Meta's compared to most of us. I have a brother that is a mechanical prodigy with mechanical things like vehicles and equipment. It's really amazing the depth of their knowledge and intelligence to just understand how things operate. These people see how components work together without a schematic.

Honestly, I'd settle for a few people with common sense. I got a call from my visiting MiL yesterday saying the hose in my yard was leaking (bad quick connect) and she couldn't figure out how to turn it off. The hose bib has a basic long handle ball valve on it. How does someone get to their 70's, owning a home as a widow 1/3 of that time, and not know how to turn off a fucking valve? People don't bother to understand even the most basic shit, seeming to make no distinction between repairing a door lock and an iPhone. It's all beyond them.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 21, 2019 2:14 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:05 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 pm
Agreed.

Honestly, I'd settle for a few people with common sense. I got a call from my visiting MiL yesterday saying the hose in my yard was leaking (bad quick connect) and she couldn't figure out how to turn it off. The hose bib has a basic long handle ball valve on it. How does someone get to their 70's, owning a home as a widow 1/3 of that time, and not know how to turn off a fucking valve? People don't bother to understand even the most basic shit, seeming to make no distinction between repairing a door lock and an iPhone. It's all beyond them.
:lol: Did you have to explain clockwise and counterclockwise to her ?

It's shocking sometimes how some people essential operate like goldfish, surface thoughts only. I was in my early 30's when I realized that being old didn't make someone smart or wise, that some people were just idiots their entire lives.

Most of the stuff I build or fix in my shop isn't that much cheaper than replacing new. But I don't want to be just another consumer in a service based economy.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 pm

Here's a different take on Society and Economy

Personal fiscal freedom

It all kind of ties together with what we've been talking about. What type of lifestyle do you want to live?

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/0 ... -creating/
PLATA O PLOMO

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:14 pm
Most of the stuff I build or fix in my shop isn't that much cheaper than replacing new.
That's partly an artifact of an absurdly expensive replacement part supply for these machines we use. I can't recall if I've ranted about this here before, but I had an exchange with an appliance repair blogger about parts. He tried to convince me that $100 for a GE OEM oven igniter, a block of ceramic with some nichrome metal stuck in it, was totally worth it, even when aftermarket could be had for like $10-15. He deleted my posts when I pointed out that I could buy a smartphone for that, or a whole new low end range with 2 of these same igniters in it for $300.

My answer is to be a packrat. I keep dead appliances like a white trash has cars on the lawn. When the belt went on a dryer recently I just took it from the dead one. Done. That would have been like a $150 service call.

Re the 2nd chart you posted, I think it's a bit misleading as it basically tracks the diminishing proportion of the population who are farmers. The may have been self employed, but it was a damn rough existence with little disposable cash income.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND