Chicken kidneys are also delicious. A delicacy imo
Shikata ga nai

brewster

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by brewster » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:46 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:38 pm
For some reason kosher birds never come with giblets, not even turkeys. My favorite part of a roast turkey? The neck. I've actually bought packages of necks and smoked them. Damn good. 2nd favorite is the ass, as long as it's roasted long enough to render the fat. I'd buy turkey asses by the pound if I could get them, I assume they're turned into pet food.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Rooster fries are tasty. And they make you crow like a champeen.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm
My wife loves to tell a story about road tripping with her family and they see "bull fries" on the menu in Wyoming or such. The waitress is trying to be delicate explaining when her MD stepdad shouts out "oh, you mean testicles!"
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Where do you buy rooster balls? There is a butcher shop near my house that sells goat and rabbit. I want to eat bull balls in order to absord their essence and counter act the harmful estrogen growing effects of eating soy protein all these years.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:38 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:46 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:38 pm
For some reason kosher birds never come with giblets, not even turkeys. My favorite part of a roast turkey? The neck. I've actually bought packages of necks and smoked them. Damn good. 2nd favorite is the ass, as long as it's roasted long enough to render the fat. I'd buy turkey asses by the pound if I could get them, I assume they're turned into pet food.
I had to look this up because the whole kosher racket is actually something that mildly intirgues me. Apparently some people are reporting missing giblets in kosher turkeys where the bag holding them should be. It seems like there is a rule where they have to be cleaned and processed separately so if they get damaged they are just discarded. I don't see anything about kosher turkeys excluding them all together and I would venture to guess that nobody is bothering to ensure the same levels of standards with a chicken carcass so the process is forgone outside of just selling them sperate.

This is actually interesting because it seems to insinuate that people were aware of the fact that not cleaning a carcass and keeping the guts inside compromises sanitation when this kosher rule was made. Though I can't find it.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 pm

Fife wrote:
18th C Trivia
What's the name for a rooster that's been castrated ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 pm
Fife wrote:
18th C Trivia
Capon. Back when I was a kid my mom could actually get them in the markets. Basically a big ass chicken. I've heard that in some areas of the country you can find 'stewing chickens' in the market, basically laying hens that were retired. You never see that in the city.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:12 am

brewster wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 pm
Fife wrote:
18th C Trivia
Capon. Back when I was a kid my mom could actually get them in the markets. Basically a big ass chicken. I've heard that in some areas of the country you can find 'stewing chickens' in the market, basically laying hens that were retired. You never see that in the city.
I had to look that up to confirm, I'd always known them as Cockerels, both names are acceptable as it turns out. I haven't seen one since I was a kid, we had an old neighbor that raised them and butchered them. They get frickin huge. As a little kid they were something to keep an eye on.

I've never eaten one, but it stands to reason like hogs and beef, it improves the meat and size of the animal.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 am

The thing about cockerels, mutton or other older beasts is the ability to cook them for longer without the meat falling apart.
This gives more time for the flavours to develop.
Next time someone serves you a coq au vin and it is a tender breast fillet send it back. It should be an old cockerel and still on the bone.
Capon is usually sold young when it is still a tender meat.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.