Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:20 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm
Come the zombie apocalypse, it will probably have more value than saffron or truffles.
Unless the zombies are repelled by saffron and truffle-tonic is a buff against catching the virus.
I'll bet on lard being worth more
Once you have mastered truffle lard you'll be rolling in it...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:09 pm

Total cost ends up at $5/lb? That’s a lot cheaper on steaks, but not ground beef etc...
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:04 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:09 pm
Total cost ends up at $5/lb? That’s a lot cheaper on steaks, but not ground beef etc...
Yeah, no more than. It's a ballpark. I haven't figured the exact price per pound. I don't believe it's anymore than that. Even at that I'm very happy. Quality is awesome, then there are savings I just haven't figured in. My final total on rendered tallow was 34 lbs. Grass Fed beef tallow goes for $8 per pound., that's $272 I haven't figured into the equation yet. Then little things, like dog bones and trimmings, etc.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:35 am

The story about why lard fell out of fashion is actually pretty interesting. I like that it's making a comeback.
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012 ... illed-lard

A century ago, lard was in every American pantry and fryer. These days, lard is an insult.

"The word lard has become this generally derogatory term associated with fat and disgustingness," says Dan Pashman who hosts a food podcast called The Sporkful. "Think about Lard-ass, the character from the movie Stand By Me. I mean, he didn't want to be called Lard-ass."

How did this delicious, all-natural fat from a pig become an insult? Who killed lard?

Lard didn't just fall out of favor. It was pushed. It was a casualty of a battle between giant business and corporate interests.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:29 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:05 pm
Who uses Lard in cooking ?
I've been sitting on about 60 lbs of Tallow from my beef. I processed a couple pounds last spring and have been using it here and there. In my quest to get further and further away from processed foods, it's time to get busy on rendering it into Lard. I found this interesting article that is pro-lard and includes background of why Canola and other oils are bad for you
https://www.daringgourmet.com/how-to-re ... ld-use-it/

Anyway. First 20 lbs is rendering in my wifes gigantic countertop roaster. Looks like it is going to make around 4 gallons min.

I'm curious to who uses lard and any tips from the team.
I use bacon fat for all kinds of things man. It really improves the flavor! That's awesome that you and your wife are efficiently using parts of the animal that most Americans toss. I've heard that the reason McDonald's French Fries taste so good is because they were fried in beef fat. Next time I cook a roast I am going to save the fat and use it to make my own fries. As an aside, can you use that lard to add to Venison sausage? I remember you told me earlier that venison is too lean to be eat by itself in sausage, so pork has to be added. What would happen if you just used lard instead? Would it combine well?
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:51 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:29 pm

I use bacon fat for all kinds of things man. It really improves the flavor! That's awesome that you and your wife are efficiently using parts of the animal that most Americans toss. I've heard that the reason McDonald's French Fries taste so good is because they were fried in beef fat. Next time I cook a roast I am going to save the fat and use it to make my own fries. As an aside, can you use that lard to add to Venison sausage? I remember you told me earlier that venison is too lean to be eat by itself in sausage, so pork has to be added. What would happen if you just used lard instead? Would it combine well?
Thanks man, the frugality is rewarding. The main drivers are quality and self sufficiency, for us it's fulfilling in a lot of ways.

Rendered lard is not good for venison sausage, but the unrendered tallow is outstanding. It's the reason I held this in the freezer since May. But, unfortunately because of a being busy on construction contracts away from home, I only got one day hunting and didn't have any venison to work with.
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:58 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:51 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks man, the frugality is rewarding. The main drivers are quality and self sufficiency, for us it's fulfilling in a lot of ways.

Rendered lard is not good for venison sausage, but the unrendered tallow is outstanding. It's the reason I held this in the freezer since May. But, unfortunately because of a being busy on construction contracts away from home, I only got one day hunting and didn't have any venison to work with.
I believe that lard also has non edible uses as well. I'm fairly certain you can make soap out of it. I don't know how, but I believe pioneers used to do that. Candles can also be made from tallow. That might be a cool side project to do. Interestingly, I read somewhere that the British citizens used to hand their bacon fat over to the govt during ww2, to make nitroglycerin for the war effort. Its hard to find lard in supermarkets anymore, but it used to be a widespread thing. Now walmart and publix mainly sell crisco and shit like that which is vegetable based. I think part of this is the growing number of homosexuals and vegans in our society want to use a non animal based anal lubricant.

I use bacon fat for scrambled eggs, and sometimes I use it instead of butter to cook various meats. It seems to work quite well. I have about a pound of it stored up. Do you have any cooking ideas? I was thinking about trying to make garlic bread and use in lieu of butter. Don't know how well that will work tbh.
Shikata ga nai

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 pm
I can assure you I will NOT be rolling in truffle lard.
Not on this planet.
Not in the Prime Material plane.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:26 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:00 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 pm
I can assure you I will NOT be rolling in truffle lard.
Not on this planet.
Not in the Prime Material plane.
Sounds like the kind of thing that could be sold in hipster boutiques.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:30 pm

You guys would not believe the amount of licensing and regulations North Carolinians have to deal with in order to produce and sell ginseng.