Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:41 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:22 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:06 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:52 am

So why haven't the Chinese or Russian done this already?
IMO, the US is the engine of the Global Economy, if they killed it, they would be fighting everyone. Someone who is going to do it is a radical group, who has nothing to lose and would prefer if the Engine of the Global Economy was destroyed and the Global Economy too. So that takes us down to a few rogue states, and Wahhabists as far as I can tell.
Roughly speaking, would it me more and how much more or less complex and difficult would it be to deliver that type of attack so as opposed to a brief case type nuclear attack?
Simple enough for any nation with ICBMs (currently a dozen or so). The problem of course, being that we'd annihilate the rest of the planet.

The suitcase attack would be much more difficult, as the thing would weigh a quarter ton. Anything less would only impact a few city blocks.

The nuclear umbrella is a pretty absolute security blanket.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:49 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:52 am

So why haven't the Chinese or Russian done this already?
IMO, the US is the engine of the Global Economy, if they killed it, they would be fighting everyone. Someone who is going to do it is a radical group, who has nothing to lose and would prefer if the Engine of the Global Economy was destroyed and the Global Economy too. So that takes us down to a few rogue states, and Wahhabists as far as I can tell.
Roughly speaking, would it me more and how much more or less complex and difficult would it be to deliver that type of attack so as opposed to a brief case type nuclear attack?
The one missile detonated at precisely 294 miles above the earth would be more difficult than a localized coastal attack. North Korea and Iran likely could carry out the attack, as well as any major power with nuclear weapons. It doesn't even have to be a refined nuclear attack, just has to be a nuclear explosion.

For lower tech countries like North Korea or Iran, multiple smaller missiles on seperate ships would probably be the best way to ensure success.

Last edited by C-Mag on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:58 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:49 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

The one missile detonated at precisely 294 miles above the earth would be more difficult than a localized coastal attack. North Korea and Iran likely could carry out the attack, as well as any major power with nuclear weapons. It doesn't even have to be a refined nuclear attack, just has to be a nuclear explosion.

For lower tech countries like North Korea or Iran, multiple smaller missiles on seperate ships would probably be the best way to ensure success.
Not related but thought you'd like this VDH presentation on air-power during WWII.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulQlBOkivu4
The good, the true, & the beautiful

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm not a big panic monkey on pandemics, I pretty much ignored the recent bird flu and swine flu scares, but I have been checking in on Ebola in the Congo and it's spreading again. Probably no reason to believe that it won't be contained. History tells us that there are big pandemics every couple hundred years, with our only really big one(Spanish Flue 1918) since the world became truly connected was 100 years ago.

A blogger has found that the officials numbers are being massaged to show a lower spread rate over time(red) than the actual over time (blue).

The current outbreak is the second largest in history, and has reached the large city of Butembo with a population in excess of 1 Million people.

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-ebo ... story.html
https://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/20 ... stics.html
PLATA O PLOMO

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:44 pm

"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:11 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:44 pm
:lol:
For several years when filling out medical questionaires at the doctors office I'd come to the question about 'Any Recent Illnesses' I would write, just got over a nasty case of Ebola.

In all the years of doing it, only one nurse and no doctors ever said a word about it.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:30 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:11 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:44 pm
For several years when filling out medical questionaires at the doctors office I'd come to the question about 'Any Recent Illnesses' I would write, just got over a nasty case of Ebola.

In all the years of doing it, only one nurse and no doctors ever said a word about it.
I bet every doctor wrote ''serious case of terminal smartarse'' on your medical records though.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:30 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:11 pm

I bet every doctor wrote ''serious case of terminal smartarse'' on your medical records though.
I'd be disappointed if he didn't.
PLATA O PLOMO

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:31 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:33 pm
I'm not a big panic monkey on pandemics, I pretty much ignored the recent bird flu and swine flu scares, but I have been checking in on Ebola in the Congo and it's spreading again. Probably no reason to believe that it won't be contained. History tells us that there are big pandemics every couple hundred years, with our only really big one(Spanish Flue 1918) since the world became truly connected was 100 years ago.

A blogger has found that the officials numbers are being massaged to show a lower spread rate over time(red) than the actual over time (blue).

The current outbreak is the second largest in history, and has reached the large city of Butembo with a population in excess of 1 Million people.

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-ebo ... story.html
https://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/20 ... stics.html
Why do these nasty hemorrhagic fevers start somewhere in Africa? Is there epidemiological reason for this?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:19 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Why do these nasty hemorrhagic fevers start somewhere in Africa? Is there epidemiological reason for this?
Monkeys

These are diseases that used to have much contact with hominids in the past, but drifted apart from us for hundreds of thousands if not millions of years. It's not an effective evolutionary adaptation for a virus to kill everybody. It generally wants to lay dormant for a long time while it is communicable. But they tuned themselves to other primates for all that time. Then they got picked up by humans again, and because they still retain some of that infectiousness in humans, they start spreading. But because they basically kill everybody, they are more likely to burn themselves out.

The Black Death was more likely a hemorrhagic fever that was extremely well adapted to our species. It most likely came out of the Levant, though.