Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

C-Mag

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by C-Mag » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:46 am

Ph64 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:58 am
It's obvious that the SHTF could has an any time (shit hit the fan)... So, I should keep some sufficient amount of food to get me through a winter (where I can't grow food), I should attempt to have a garden big enough to not only survive a summer on, but a winter of canned goods. I should have rainwater collection (which can also be filtered to drinking water), a water filter that can turn one scum water to drinkable, alternate heating/cooking (wood stove, rocket stove, etc)...

Not sure I'm there, but probably a lot better than most. I could lose power and roads for a month+ and easily survive.
Are you trolling the thread :?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:08 am

https://www.livescience.com/64066-farmi ... tification

What crops to grow after the zombie apocalypse.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:46 am

Probably not a big Welding Community here at MHF, but welding is cool as hell. It's as essential to modern life as the village blacksmith was 200 years ago. Here's a great intro video.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 am

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:46 am
Probably not a big Welding Community here at MHF, but welding is cool as hell. It's as essential to modern life as the village blacksmith was 200 years ago. Here's a great intro video.
I have a little experience with welding. I know enough to be sure I would rather pay someone else to it than do it myself.
Mig welding is just horrible. Oxy-acetylene is a lot nicer but less useful.
When SHTF you are going to need a lot of solar panels to run electric welders and the gases needed for all but arc welding will be hard to get.
I think a charcoal forge and some big hammers will be a lot more useful.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:12 am

The sheet metal guys I knew in the military made a fortune when they separated. For avionics guys to make that right out of the gate they have to become contractors in SA.

It's a great skill to learn.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 am
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:46 am
I have a little experience with welding. I know enough to be sure I would rather pay someone else to it than do it myself.
When SHTF you are going to need a lot of solar panels to run electric welders and the gases needed for all but arc welding will be hard to get.
Sure, if we get a global or hemisphere wide EMP type event. Maybe we will have a Bronze Age type collapse in the near future, but I'm not planning on it.

Being able to weld ups ones ability to be self sufficient. I grew up using a stick welder, and now I use a Mig. For toughness stick welding is the only way to go, but there is stuff a Mig can do that a normal human can't do with a stick welder. I can literally weld a tin can with my little Mig, can't do that with Stick.
PLATA O PLOMO

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:31 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 am

What's so horrible about MIG? The problem with that stick welder in the vid is it needs a LOT of AC current, hard to come by in EOTWAWKI. While I have a MIG welder that can run on 2 car batteries, easily solar charged, it's a the consumables for any form of modern welding that's the problem. MIG wire, shielding gases, fluxed stick, flux core wire, or oxy/acetylene all require sophisticated tech to provide. So if you're not ready to lay in a lifetime supply of consumables or get set up to make and compress O2 & acetylene, it's back to the forge.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:36 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:12 am
The sheet metal guys I knew in the military made a fortune when they separated. For avionics guys to make that right out of the gate they have to become contractors in SA.

It's a great skill to learn.
As the man explains in the video, being at least good enough to get certified improves your income potential dramatically. If you can weld at a novice to journeyman level, you'll likely never be out of work. In the last year I've read that there is a shortage of 15,000 trained welders in the country. Starting wages for someone with a 2 year tech college cert is $15-$20 an hour with no work experience. Experienced welders can double that wage and get signing bonuses. A smart industrious kid with a high school education can walk into shops, get an apprenticeship and get paid to learn. Military is an outstanding way to go to because of the training and tools you get to work with.

Another good video on some beginner things. I have trouble with getting amps(temp) and feed speed correct.

PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:38 am

I wouldn't mind a go at TIG welding, everyone says it's far superior to MIG.
Welding is really useful of course but there's not that much you can't do with pop-rivets or nuts and bolts if you are desperate.
I've got to make some belly boxes for my truck and will use the farm stick welder only if I can't bolt one together.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:38 am
I wouldn't mind a go at TIG welding, everyone says it's far superior to MIG.
The new inverter rigs have made it MUCH cheaper to get an entry level machine, check out the ones at Harbor Freight. If I didn't already have a $400 ac/dc buzz box I got years ago I'd get one, but I don't need to weld for a job often enough to justify it. With my spool gun and buzz box I can even weld 1/16 aluminum, but it ain't purty.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND