War Powers Act

Hwen Hoshino

Re: War Powers Act

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:00 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Trump is like a booster shot shot to get the republic's immune system functioning properly. Clinton would have been like a pain drug that keeps it chugging along without actually curing anything.
Clinton would be a disaster, but tit would take longer for mass outrage to limit her powers.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:02 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Trump is like a booster shot shot to get the republic's immune system functioning properly. Clinton would have been like a pain drug that keeps it chugging along without actually curing anything.
Well, if you can't be here on time, at least you got to the right place.

The entire election cycle we were saying, worst case scenario, Trump is horrible, and triggers a response that results in a balancing of powers.

The role of the court jester is to poke fun at the king, and let the plebs have an outlet for their grief. They are a steam valve. Let off just enough steam so the plebs don't revolt. It makes people feel better, and delays any true reform. It's not a solution, only a treatment. Worst case scenario, Trump is a boiling pot which no steam valve can contain. We might actually get both. Trump already killed TPP. DeVoss might improve education. Mattis and McMaster could greatly improve our adventuring trend. AND congress might get their shit together. Things are looking up.
I have always been on board for that. I haven't been on board with Trump's terrible ideas and worse roll outs of said terrible ideas, and have been waiting for the rest of the government to get their shit together and realize they need to start the checking. It is just that your worst case scenario is my best case scenario. Trump actually being competent was never really on the table... and don't come at me with TPP, since that was dead in the water thanks to the handful of watchdogs that were critical of it the entire time it was being rolled out. You can thank liberal economics journalists like David Cay Johnston for that... Trump is just soaking up the credit, which is about the only thing he is actually any good at.

I like Mattis, don't know much about McMaster, but he seems like a good pick as well. Once we actually stop our endless nation building wars, I will give Trump a little more credit. Not before, because I heard that same song from Obama in 2008, and that got triple fried n' fucked. Talk is cheap, you folks should know that.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:06 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Clinton would be a disaster, but tit would take longer for mass outrage to limit her powers.
Clinton would just be the pill that keeps things lurching along until it is time for hospice. Hopefully, our systems are still robust enough to fight off the Trump inoculation.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:06 am

C-Mag wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Early days yet.

Journalists have to prove themselves trustworthy while under assault already... there is every reason to think they will start doing their damn jobs again too.

IMO, the biggest problem with media is that 90% of the media is owned by 3 major corporate conglomerates.
Has very little to do with the average 'reporter'. The talking heads on tv are just inflated actors playing their part and following the policy of the corporations.
That actually doesn't concern me too much.

When I was in college, I bought myself a copy of Howard Zinn's 'People's History of the United States.' I was a little shocked to see on the back cover that the edition I had was printed and distributed by a publisher owned by the same company that runs Fox News. Ideological marching orders don't mean shit when the true god is profit. It is one of the strengths of consumer capitalism... if the reporter, writer, whomever, has something people want, corporate media can be relied upon to put paper first.

The problem recently has been that media is adjusting to new information technology. In order not to get scooped by some blog, once (relatively) trustworthy news organs have rushed to print with errors, printed stories on bad information, et cetera. People need to demand high quality, well vetted, journalism, and not hearsay blogs and top ten listicles.

We will always have to be wary of conflicts of interest... that will never go away.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:02 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Clinton would just be the pill that keeps things lurching along until it is time for hospice. Hopefully, our systems are still robust enough to fight off the Trump inoculation.
That was Obama, Hillary's lack of charm would doom her.