Pretty cool pic of an Afrika Korps Panzer II on the beach
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Re: WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

Post by Hastur » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:44 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
C-Mag wrote:They weren't a decisive force, but they did serve the role as guerillas or an insurgency so as to keep the Axis putting resources into protecting their rear areas.
Hey, and who can't love a bunch a guys rolling around on their own in small units through the desert making hit and run attacks on Nazi's.
I'm not sure it's fair to say they weren't a decisive force. Alongside the early SAS they attacked strategic targets and did enough damage to planes and fuel dumps etc to have a real effect. They also collected a lot of good intelligence which was their main purpose. They were a lot more than just diversionary tactics to draw Axis forces from the front lines.
Without the LRDG the SAS would never have got off the ground as their first raid using the air force for transport was a disaster.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of these guys and what they did. They were big contributors to the battle for North Africa. My only point is that it still took massed troops, tanks and artillery to push the Axis out of North Africa.

The tanks of the North African Campaign
Allies
Cruiser
Crusader
Matilda
M2 Stewart
M3 Grant

Axis
Panzer I, II, III
Panzer IV
Stug III
Marder II
Panzer VI - Tiger

What did I miss.
Don't forget the Italian tanks. :lol:

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Hastur wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

What did I miss.
Don't forget the Italian tanks. :lol:
:lol:

If I could name a piece of Italian equipmet besides the Machhi Fighters, I would have.

But they kind of had some cool camo.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:49 pm

A cool page with tons of captured aircraft being utilized by the other side, like this beauty

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... 4/WTF.aspx
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:24 pm

C-Mag wrote:Crazy pink desert Camo

Those pink Spitfires were used for flying reconnaissance missions at sunset and sunrise under the clouds and were therefore probably not used in the desert war where cloud cover was rare.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5872484/why-worl ... camouflage
The pink, slightly too washed-out to be an actual baby pink, still seems bright enough to signal every enemy within five miles. This is certainly true when the Spitfires were seen from above. They stand out brightly against the ground. To make sure they were rarely seen from above, these planes were painted to fly just under cloud cover. Although the planes were ideally meant to fly at sunset and sunrise, when the clouds took on a pinkish hue and made the plane completely invisible against them, they were also useful during the day. Clouds are pinker than we give them credit for. We perceive them as white against the sky because the particles in the sky scatter blue light, sending some of it down towards us and letting us see the sky as blue. Clouds scatter every kind of light, and against the intense blue sky look whitish gray. But their color depends on what kind of light gets to them, and what they are floating next to.

Although we see the sky as a radiant blue, the particles are actually filtering out a lot of the blue light that gets down to the earth's surface. When the blue light is scattered, a good deal of it goes right back up into space, which is why the atmosphere of earth glows blue in some pictures. This filters out a good deal of the blue that gets to the clouds. The clouds scatter what they have, which is a spectrum of light with at least some of the blue filtered out, shifting the overall light ever so slightly towards red. Add to that the fact that the water droplets in clouds can diffract light at different angles, and the clouds are often rife with pastel shades of pink, orange, and green. They look white compared to a glowing blue sky, and a quick glance leaves people with the impression that they are white, but a long look should reveal this shifting, if minor, shades. A light pink plane is safer against them than anyone would expect.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Montegriffo wrote:

]
You may be right on the plan, I just grabbed the image, thought it was desert pink camo. Thanks for straigtening me out.
PLATA O PLOMO

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:07 am

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Check for cracked plates :P

Wait. Am I thinking of the Panther? Which one was shit?

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:38 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

]
You may be right on the plan, I just grabbed the image, thought it was desert pink camo. Thanks for straigtening me out.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote: ]

Just saw this
:D
PLATA O PLOMO