WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

heydaralon

Re: WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

Post by heydaralon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:19 pm

In regards to the taking of territory, after the war ended, Stalin and his army were taking entire factories out of Manchuria. They were breaking down the equipment, and in some cases the buildings themselves, and just straight up stealing that shit for use inside Russia. Completely blatant.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:15 pm

I didn't know that.
Says something when the Commies are stealing Jap industrial machinery.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Norden Bombsights used human hair for cross hairs, all from one womans head

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/thread ... ry.188956/
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:35 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 pm

That is fucking weird! Its interesting that in the same age where we made nukes, we still used things like human hair for weapons, which is probably what some neolithic people used to bind arrow heads onto the shaft or to wrap obsidian knives.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:48 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:35 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 pm

That is fucking weird! Its interesting that in the same age where we made nukes, we still used things like human hair for weapons, which is probably what some neolithic people used to bind arrow heads onto the shaft or to wrap obsidian knives.
Yeah, human hair was the only fiber they could find that would handle the environmental changes required. The 9th AF, which unfairly got overshadowed by the 8th, flew out of Africa for a lot of the war. Their aircraft would be 150 degrees plus F inside the plane in Africa, and maybe be -40 F at operational altitude.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Anti-Aircraft gun platforms built in the Thames estuary during WWII.
Still in place but rusting away.

Beginnings of a restoration project.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 am

The humble Stug III, deadliest armored vehicle of WWII, as such, should be considered the greatest tank of the war.

PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 pm

My Dad gave me my Grandfather's leather travel cribbage board before he passed late last year. As near as I can tell, it is circa 1942 military issue by E.S Lowe Co. Pretty cool, the marks on the left side flap are where he engraved his name only our last name is still visible. I am still researching on how exactly the score was kept on this board(the 5 holes and the middle holes in particular.) I can't help picturing my young granddad breaking this out from his shirt pocket for a game of cribbage with his mates.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1857051519

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 pm

Haumana wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 pm
My Dad gave me my Grandfather's leather travel cribbage board before he passed late last year. As near as I can tell, it is circa 1942 military issue by E.S Lowe Co. Pretty cool, the marks on the left side flap are where he engraved his name only our last name is still visible. I am still researching on how exactly the score was kept on this board(the 5 holes and the middle holes in particular.) I can't help picturing my young granddad breaking this out from his shirt pocket for a game of cribbage with his mates.

That is seriously cool. I have never heard of those before. Found a guy on Etsy making replicas.

I've played cribbage a lot. Learned it growing up, then worked in an engineering office where cribbage was played on breaks at 10, 12, and 2. On average we'd play 6 games a day with one or two boards. Being engineers, records were kept, high scores going back to 1980. Scoring includes lots of options, but is not complex. Pegs are moved as points are scored. The highest scoring hand you can get counts 29 points, there are a total of 120 points to win. The odds of getting a 29 hand are approximately 1 in 700,000. I've never gotten one.

Here a microsoft windows game you can play
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/cribb ... verviewtab
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:53 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 pm
Haumana wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 pm

That is seriously cool. I have never heard of those before. Found a guy on Etsy making replicas.

I've played cribbage a lot. Learned it growing up, then worked in an engineering office where cribbage was played on breaks at 10, 12, and 2. On average we'd play 6 games a day with one or two boards. Being engineers, records were kept, high scores going back to 1980. Scoring includes lots of options, but is not complex. Pegs are moved as points are scored. The highest scoring hand you can get counts 29 points, there are a total of 120 points to win. The odds of getting a 29 hand are approximately 1 in 700,000. I've never gotten one.

Here a microsoft windows game you can play
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/cribb ... verviewtab
After poker, cribbage is my favourite card game.
The only game where you score ''one for his nob''...
Playing Cribbage, Newmarket and occasionally Blackjack on camping holidays as a kid is how my father taught me to love gambling.

Somewhere in my sister's loft, amongst Dad's trophies and stuff, we've got his father's WWII field glasses. They would have seen service in North Africa and the Italian campaign.
I still have Dad's machete, issued to him during his active service in Malaysia in the late 50s. The date stamp on it is 1944. I still use it for chopping kindling and cutting back brambles and keep it as sharp as a kitchen knife.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.