WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

heydaralon

Re: WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

Post by heydaralon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:20 pm

I was going to put you at number 9, but Italy's skillful handling of the Greek invasion is what gave them the edge. Their martial prowess shone through that day...
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:20 pm
I was going to put you at number 9, but Italy's skillful handling of the Greek invasion is what gave them the edge. Their martial prowess shone through that day...
Ranked in order of punctuality the US would be in very last place.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 pm
heydaralon wrote:
In terms of teeth Britain would be in last place.

I like you guys but you have the Crest Cavity Creep as your mascot...
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:21 am
I wouldn't rank them like that but I wouldn't be judging them by the same criteria as you.

I'm being offended on behalf of both of my Grandfathers who were involved in both the North African and Italian campaigns.
My paternal Grandfather in the Durham light infantry and Granddad Montegriffo who was first an engineer in the RAF and then made an intelligence officer before the Italy campaign because he spoke fluent Italian and Spanish.

Just retract "took Africa in 6 months" and we're cool Carlus. ;)
No insult intended, ally. I honor their service and sacrifice. But I can't change history. I will say this, Europe would have been unsaveable if Britain would have collapsed.

Plus you won the Battle of Britain, with only a little help from the US. ;)
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:54 pm

We saved Europe so that they could charge people with hate speech who say that there are biological differences between men and women, and people who question the logic of letting in terrorist rape gangs. My grandfather was a WW2 veteran. He must be spinning around in his grave so fast that his coffin has turned into sawdust...
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Re-Arming the Rhineland, Sudetenland and Anschluss...………… punctuality indeed, dare I say Peace in Our Time

:whistle:
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:29 pm

More mud slinging on the Soviet WWII War Machine

The Soviets were beaten twice by the Finns in Karelia. First in the Winter War, second in the 1944 Summer Offensive. The Soviets had just pushed the Krauts off the Siege of Leningrad after 3 years, and they moved their attention to evening the score against the Finns.

The Soviets amazingly had a 8:1 advantage in Men, Aircraft, Artillery and Tanks, but still could not dislodge and defeat the Finns. In standard military warfare, you want at least a 3:1 advantage on the attack. The Soviets are far more than that, plus their equipment was new and well stocked compared to the Finns. The Finns could ony put about 50 modern air fighters and about that many modern tanks into the battle, and the Soviets ground to a standstill.

When the Soviets demanded unconditional surrender of Finland, the Finns told the Reds to bugger off and kept fighting. Little Finland lost some ground in Karelia, but held off the Red Menace. Which shows again that the Soviets were not adaptive. Most the entire war for them was fighting on the open steppe like ground. They did not demonstrate at any time they could dominate the Air, Sea and Land simultaneously, or that they could really fight that well other than throwing mass men and material at an enemy front over open terrain.
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:29 pm
More mud slinging on the Soviet WWII War Machine

The Soviets were beaten twice by the Finns in Karelia. First in the Winter War, second in the 1944 Summer Offensive. The Soviets had just pushed the Krauts off the Siege of Leningrad after 3 years, and they moved their attention to evening the score against the Finns.

The Soviets amazingly had a 8:1 advantage in Men, Aircraft, Artillery and Tanks, but still could not dislodge and defeat the Finns. In standard military warfare, you want at least a 3:1 advantage on the attack. The Soviets are far more than that, plus their equipment was new and well stocked compared to the Finns. The Finns could ony put about 50 modern air fighters and about that many modern tanks into the battle, and the Soviets ground to a standstill.

When the Soviets demanded unconditional surrender of Finland, the Finns told the Reds to bugger off and kept fighting. Little Finland lost some ground in Karelia, but held off the Red Menace. Which shows again that the Soviets were not adaptive. Most the entire war for them was fighting on the open steppe like ground. They did not demonstrate at any time they could dominate the Air, Sea and Land simultaneously, or that they could really fight that well other than throwing mass men and material at an enemy front over open terrain.
They were losers. Many of the best Generals had been purged by Stalin and Korolshilov. We gave those fairies spam and jeeps too. We shouldn't have looking back... Stalin did a few prescient things leading up to the war, but the USSR won in spite of him imo.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:10 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 pm

They were losers. Many of the best Generals had been purged by Stalin and Korolshilov. We gave those fairies spam and jeeps too. We shouldn't have looking back... Stalin did a few prescient things leading up to the war, but the USSR won in spite of him imo.
Stalin was so Fucking Machievelian you have to respect him. He fucked over anyone and everyone. Allies, Friends, Family, Enemies, it didn't matter.

That Fucker didn't lift a finger to help us in Asia, then after we drop the first Nuke, he declares war on Japan, and gets a whole bunch of fucking territory for it. Imagine where we'd be right now if we had gotten to rebuild all of Korea, and didn't divide it with the Soviets. Not to mention how bad he played FDR in particular and Churchill to a lesser extent at Yalta.

That fucker was a master at getting what he wanted.
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:17 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:10 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 pm

Stalin was so Fucking Machievelian you have to respect him. He fucked over anyone and everyone. Allies, Friends, Family, Enemies, it didn't matter.

That Fucker didn't lift a finger to help us in Asia, then after we drop the first Nuke, he declares war on Japan, and gets a whole bunch of fucking territory for it. Imagine where we'd be right now if we had gotten to rebuild all of Korea, and didn't divide it with the Soviets. Not to mention how bad he played FDR in particular and Churchill to a lesser extent at Yalta.

That fucker was a master at getting what he wanted.
Valid.

I wonder if the USSR could have been even more effective and victorious if they had not wasted so many men in suicide charges and had some of their pre purge military minds. Zhukov was great, but many other capable and experienced men were shot at the base of the head. Who knows, and I might be way off the mark (or marx as this is Stalin).

Yeah the Pacific timing is ridiculous. Pure opportunism.

Stalin fucked over his returning veterans hardcore too. He started deporting them to gulags and outer parts of the empire like Kazakhstan by the millions for periods of 15 years (which ended up being life in many cases). Ostensibly the reason for this was as punishment for rape (those in Germany etc.), but in reality Stalin was paranoid that his soldiers had been outside of his reach for too long and had gotten ideologically contaminated in enemy and Western lands. He also purged his loyal partisans who did not retreat into Russia when the war started. Those who stayed behind in German territory fighting covert wars and sabatoging the enemy were treated mercilessly, because Stalin felt he could no longer trust them either. Really no redeeming moral qualities as a man. At the very least, you'd think he appreciate that his millions of troops did all the heavy lifting for his victories, but nah, train ride to Siberia dog.
Shikata ga nai