WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

C-Mag

Re: WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:45 am

Hastur wrote:I want a Daimler Dingo Scout Car.

8-)

Scout Cars in general are really cool, they vary so much and their role can vary so much.

Here's one set up for direct support operations

I'm reminded of when I was a Bradley gunner, we would get attached to different types of Battalions for support. Our standard role was with an Armored Task Force. Hang 200 to 400 meters behind the Main Battle Tanks. But, you get attached to a light infantry unit, and suddenly you are the biggest gun in the Battalion and you are going directly to the front of the line and the LTC is loving having you as extra muscle.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Hastur wrote:I want a Daimler Dingo Scout Car.

Diamler Dingo. I lolled.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:31 pm

C-Mag wrote:I'm reminded of when I was a Bradley gunner, we would get attached to different types of Battalions for support. Our standard role was with an Armored Task Force. Hang 200 to 400 meters behind the Main Battle Tanks. But, you get attached to a light infantry unit, and suddenly you are the biggest gun in the Battalion and you are going directly to the front of the line and the LTC is loving having you as extra muscle.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
C-Mag wrote:I'm reminded of when I was a Bradley gunner, we would get attached to different types of Battalions for support. Our standard role was with an Armored Task Force. Hang 200 to 400 meters behind the Main Battle Tanks. But, you get attached to a light infantry unit, and suddenly you are the biggest gun in the Battalion and you are going directly to the front of the line and the LTC is loving having you as extra muscle.
Cool, the CG guys don't have the cyclic rate fastest enough on the M242 Bushmaster.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:27 am

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:14 pm

I've always been fascinated by the story and the vehicles of the LRDG.

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:22 pm

I read somewhere that they had to work like crazy to keep those things running in all that dust and sand.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Heavy duty air filters and regular cleaning of things like the radiators would have been essential. They did travel huge distances though so must have been fairly robust.
The heat must have been unbearable in the Summer. I've been deep into the Sahara in the middle of winter and it was still 35 degrees C.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:43 pm

On a tarmac in the middle of the Arabian desert, it gets over 130F between ambient and the heat radiating off the concrete.

However, aircraft maintain better in the dry heat than they do in the wet cold, by a pretty wide margin. Maybe it's the same with vehicles?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:48 pm

I think the LRDG travelled mostly at night to avoid being spotted by aircraft and enemy patrols so the heat wouldn't have been such a factor for the vehicles. I was thinking of the men hiding up in the day time trying to sleep in the heat.