WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

C-Mag

Re: WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 29, 2018 1:52 pm

The Wichita Eagle reports that the 1943 Fairchild PT-23 plane crashed Monday afternoon near Wichita’s Westport Airport.
The plane was part of the Commemorative Air Force-Jayhawk Wing that was doing flyovers across the state.
Wichita Police Sgt. Kelly O’Brien says the plane was southbound for the airport when its engine failed after noon. The plane’s right wing clipped the ground and at least one pole.

http://fox4kc.com/2018/05/28/wwii-plane ... y-flyover/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue May 29, 2018 3:34 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:52 pm
The Wichita Eagle reports that the 1943 Fairchild PT-23 plane crashed Monday afternoon near Wichita’s Westport Airport.
The plane was part of the Commemorative Air Force-Jayhawk Wing that was doing flyovers across the state.
Wichita Police Sgt. Kelly O’Brien says the plane was southbound for the airport when its engine failed after noon. The plane’s right wing clipped the ground and at least one pole.

Engine failure is an ever-present risk of flying. The FBO who helped train me for my license died after experiencing an engine failure on takeoff.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed May 30, 2018 1:51 am

de officiis wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:34 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:52 pm

Engine failure is an ever-present risk of flying. The FBO who helped train me for my license died after experiencing an engine failure on takeoff.
Every landing you can walk away from is a good one.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:10 am

Took the kitchen down to the former RAF airbase at Bentwaters in Suffolk today ready to start work on the film Vengence 2 tomorrow. Next to the building we use as a dinning room and production office is the hanger belonging to the Grace Spitfire. As we were setting up we heard a plane flying circles overhead and looked up hoping to see the Spitfire. Instead we saw a Russian fighter, when it came down to land a few minutes later I wandered over to have a closer look and it turned out to be the Yak 3 I'd seen last time I was there.
We will be there for the next month so with a bit of luck the Spitfire will make an appearance at some point.

Caroline Grace with her Spit'

The Yak 3
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:19 am

I've said before that the most beautiful sound I've ever heard is the Merlin engine in a Spitfire. One ignorant prick disagrees and actually wrote to the council complaining about noise pollution from the Grace Spitfire.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... laint.html

Grounds for revoking their British citizenship and deportation to Siberia if you ask me.

Literally brings a tear to my eye...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:03 am

Damn it, just read that the Grace Spitfire moved to Sywell airfield in Essex in 2016. :(

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:10 am
Took the kitchen down to the former RAF airbase at Bentwaters in Suffolk today ready to start work on the film Vengence 2 tomorrow. Next to the building we use as a dinning room and production office is the hanger belonging to the Grace Spitfire. As we were setting up we heard a plane flying circles overhead and looked up hoping to see the Spitfire. Instead we saw a Russian fighter, when it came down to land a few minutes later I wandered over to have a closer look and it turned out to be the Yak 3 I'd seen last time I was there.
We will be there for the next month so with a bit of luck the Spitfire will make an appearance at some point.

The Yak 3
Pretty cool, especially the Yak
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:49 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:10 am

The Yak 3
Pretty cool, especially the Yak
The Russian V12 sounded nice but it is no match for the Merlin.

StA would love this place, there are old cold war jets littered all over the site (none in airworthy condition that I know about). My interest in warplanes doesn't really go past 1945 so I couldn't name any of them.
There are bomb proof hangers here which used to contain nuclear bombers. They are now used to store fireworks.

In 1980 the forest between USAF/RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge became famous for a series of UFO sightings in what became known as the Rendlesham forest incident. The incident is called Britains Roswell.
Around 3:00 a.m. on 26 December 1980 (reported as the 27th by Halt in his memo to the UK Ministry of Defence – see below) a security patrol near the east gate of RAF Woodbridge saw lights apparently descending into nearby Rendlesham Forest. These lights have been attributed by astronomers to a piece of natural debris seen burning up as a fireball over southern England at that time.[4] Servicemen initially thought it was a downed aircraft but, upon entering the forest to investigate they saw, according to Halt's memo, what they described as a glowing object, metallic in appearance, with coloured lights. As they attempted to approach the object, it appeared to move through the trees, and "the animals on a nearby farm went into a frenzy". One of the servicemen, Sergeant Jim Penniston, later claimed to have encountered a "craft of unknown origin" while in the forest, although there was no publicized mention of this at the time and there is no corroboration from other witnesses.
The deputy base commander, Lieutenant Colonel Charles Halt, visited the site with several servicemen in the early hours of 28 December 1980 (reported as the 29th by Halt). They took radiation readings in the triangle of depressions and in the surrounding area using an AN/PDR-27, a standard U.S. military radiation survey meter. Although they recorded 0.07 milliroentgens per hour, in other regions they detected 0.03 to 0.04 milliroentgens per hour, around the background level. Furthermore, they detected a similar small 'burst' over half a mile away from the landing site.[10][11] Halt recorded the events on a micro-cassette recorder (see § The Halt Tape, below).

It was during this investigation that a flashing light was seen across the field to the east, almost in line with a farmhouse, as the witnesses had seen on the first night. The Orford Ness lighthouse is visible further to the east in the same line of sight (see below).[12]

Later, according to Halt's memo, three starlike lights were seen in the sky, two to the north and one to the south, about 10 degrees above the horizon. Halt said that the brightest of these hovered for two to three hours and seemed to beam down a stream of light from time to time. Astronomers have explained these starlike lights as bright stars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendlesha ... t_incident

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:24 am

The HMS Victorious
British Carrier in the Pacific aiding the American war effort

Old Girl got around, pretty much hit all of the Seven Seas during WWII.
Her service in 1941 and 1942 included famous actions against the battleship Bismarck, several Arctic convoys, and the Pedestal convoy to Malta. She was loaned to the United States Navy in 1943 and served in the south west Pacific as part of the Third Fleet. Victorious contributed to several attacks on the Tirpitz. The elimination of the German naval threat allowed her redeployment first to the Eastern Fleet at Colombo and then to the Pacific for the final actions of the war against Japan.
~Wikipedia

Corsairs on her deck

more here
https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily ... heir-mark/
PLATA O PLOMO

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:48 am

I wonder if British aircraft carriers had quirky little idiosyncrasies like their tanks and aircraft. ;)

Here's an update on the restoration of a P-47 Thunderbolt in Minnesota.

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restora ... -2018.html