WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

de officiis

Re: WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

Post by de officiis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Not really WW2, but still...

Collings Foundation’s F-4 Phantom II Takes to the Skies Again!
The Collings Foundation‘s F-4 Phantom II is now the only flying example of its kind in North America. She took to the skies again in the capable hands of former US Air Force ‘Rhino’-driver Harry “D-Day” Daye at 10:50am local time on August 8th, 2017 from Ellington Field in Houston, Texas. Listed on the US civil registry as N749CF, the 1965-built McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II once flew with the USAF as 65-0749. She is currently painted in the markings of 66-7680, a Phantom II flown by Col. Robin Olds’ during Operation Bolo in the Viet Nam War.

We are very fortunate that there is a civilian-owned Phantom II still flying at all. It actually took an Act of Congress to make it possible. With considerable political and financial assistance, the Collings Foundation was able to pass many significant (and justifiable) hurdles in order to acquire this aircraft through an amendment to the Defense Authorization Bill of 1999.

Once acquired, the aircraft underwent a significant refurbishment to make it airworthy back in the late 1990s. This included replacing the engines with zero-timed examples, locating and adding ejector seats, upgrading the cockpit avionics, overhauling hydraulic systems and other components, not to mention the myriad structural inspections and repairs. Following thousands of hours of repairs, the F-4 first flew in civilian hands with the Collings Foundation in August, 1999. Due to the enormous expense of operations, the Collings Foundation flew her sparingly, but she still made regular appearances until 2011, when they grounded her for major maintenance.
When I was a kid, the Phantom was definitely the coolest bird. But I'd hate to pay for the insurance, maintenance and JP-4!

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:33 pm

de officiis wrote:When I was a kid, the Phantom was definitely the coolest bird.
You must be an old codger then, considering that the F-14 entered service in 1972, mind you, even before the Tomcat, the F-8 Crusader was always way cooler than the Phantom II; single seat, pure air superiority, last of the gunfighters.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 pm

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Nukedog wrote:http://www.aviationarthangar.com

AESTHETIC
If you look at the painting of the F-4, you'll see that it's the plane that Robin Olds flew, which is how the Collins F-4 is now painted.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:10 pm

What a beast of a machine.

You have to wonder why the military screwed around so much with Porsche's designs, which often were overly complex and impractical. But still, drilling T-34s over a mile away in 1943 wasn't too shabby.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:55 pm

de officiis wrote:
What a beast of a machine.

You have to wonder why the military screwed around so much with Porsche's designs, which often were overly complex and impractical. But still, drilling T-34s over a mile away in 1943 wasn't too shabby.

That was cool.

Germany's obsession with making ever bigger and grander tanks is interesting.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:51 am

Restoration of a rare P-51-C in progress...

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbird-res ... -2017.html

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:26 am

de officiis wrote:Restoration of a rare P-51-C in progress...

I wonder how much of the original plane is left, looks brand new.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:07 am

Montegriffo wrote:
de officiis wrote:Restoration of a rare P-51-C in progress...

I wonder how much of the original plane is left, looks brand new.
Yeah, that's a good question, I don't know. The restoration jobs on these planes are amazing, as must be the costs.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:44 am

Matilda rebuild continues.

I like how that driver's hatch opens and closes. Pretty slick.