WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

C-Mag

Re: WWII Equipment - Vics, Aircraft and Kit

Post by C-Mag » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Also Cooper talks about his Division getting the only two Super Pershings of the war into action. They only had one engagement, took out a King Tiger and a Panther without much trouble. (about 200 normal Pershings made it to Europe)

A lot is made of the German ''Super Weapons' in design before the war ended, but the Allies were working on just as good of stuff in most cases. Though no one touched the Germans in Rocket tech.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:21 pm

C-Mag wrote:
de officiis wrote:This is pretty amazing. Talk about dedication...

http://shermanrestoration.com/page1/page1.html

The other interesting thing about this site it that it shows just how much work went into the manufacture of these vehicles.

I've been going through this thing, that is a crazy amount of work. I rebuilt a jeep and it wasn't too bad, now I'm doing an M-37 truck and that's all I want. I could never fathom taking on a tank. Have you read Belton Coopers [img]Death%20Traps[/img]. He was a maintenance officer with the Tank Corps in the push across Europe. Talks about keeping tanks running in battle. Good stuff.
Yes, that's actually on my bookshelf. Most people don't think about how much support was needed to keep things running.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:22 pm

C-Mag wrote:Also Cooper talks about his Division getting the only two Super Pershings of the war into action. They only had one engagement, took out a King Tiger and a Panther without much trouble. (about 200 normal Pershings made it to Europe)

A lot is made of the German ''Super Weapons' in design before the war ended, but the Allies were working on just as good of stuff in most cases. Though no one touched the Germans in Rocket tech.
Yes, as I recall his account indicates that the SP's shell went all the way through the Panther. But that tank was underpowered and the engine tended to overheat.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:26 pm

The Smithsonian Channel has a program called The Weapon Hunter. Here's one of their videos about the restoration of an Achilles.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:24 pm

de officiis wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
de officiis wrote:This is pretty amazing. Talk about dedication...

http://shermanrestoration.com/page1/page1.html

The other interesting thing about this site it that it shows just how much work went into the manufacture of these vehicles.

I've been going through this thing, that is a crazy amount of work. I rebuilt a jeep and it wasn't too bad, now I'm doing an M-37 truck and that's all I want. I could never fathom taking on a tank. Have you read Belton Coopers [img]Death%20Traps[/img]. He was a maintenance officer with the Tank Corps in the push across Europe. Talks about keeping tanks running in battle. Good stuff.
Yes, that's actually on my bookshelf. Most people don't think about how much support was needed to keep things running.
You remembered that book better than I did, until you mentioned it I forgot the problems with being underpowered.
PLATA O PLOMO

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:38 pm

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:55 pm

de officiis wrote:
It's crazy how many tanks in WWII were small gun tanks like that
PLATA O PLOMO

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:50 am

C-Mag wrote:It's crazy how many tanks in WWII were small gun tanks like that
Yes, an 'infantry' tank, slow and heavily armored. Interesting how the 2-pounder on the Matilda was shoulder aimed.

The WW2 tanks quickly evolved to larger and larger caliber guns, mostly due to the war on the Eastern Front, such that the Germans went from a tank in 1939 with twin machine guns as its main armament to a casement-style tank destroyer in 1944-45 with a monstrous 128-mm cannon.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:39 am

I want a Daimler Dingo Scout Car.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:50 am

That would definitely be alot of fun.