Software Development

adwinistrator

Software Development

Post by adwinistrator » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:40 pm

This thread is for discussion software development, computer programming, and all related areas of expertise.

Do you work in the field?
Ever tried programming as a hobby?
Have any side projects you're working on?
Questions for anyone?
Feel like starting a flame war?

I bet Martin has a lot of opinions, knowledge, and stories he can contribute!

Speaker to Animals

Re: Software Development

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:42 pm

adwinistrator wrote:This thread is for discussion software development, computer programming, and all related areas of expertise.

Questions for anyone?

Software engineering in embedded systems (mostly wireless telecommunications).

Side project: building an expert system shell that integrates with neural networks (mostly to use adaptive filters and ANNs in place of certainty factor equations).

Flame war: Java is superior to Lisp (Now Hash will cut his vacation short).

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:49 pm

adwinistrator wrote:This thread is for discussion software development, computer programming, and all related areas of expertise.

Questions for anyone?

Work: SQL developer/Crystal Reports writer/Query & Table optimization/Server backup, security, migration
Hobby: I'm a big fan of Zachtronics games (TIS-100, Shenzen I/O, etc)
Side Projects: none involving programming
Questions: Why are there so many goddamn programming languages??
Flame War: Apple computers are for children and retards.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:49 pm

I've been a software developer for about 12 years, started programming when I was 15 or so, back in '97.

Most of my professional experience is in the .NET stack and SQL databases, but I've worked with C++, Pascal, Delphi, Java, and a few others.

80% of my business applications are desktop software, with some client/server applications and web applications along the way. Worked on software for municipal police and water departments, steel mills, POS systems, customer giveaway lottery, food production, supply planning, warehouse logistics, demand forecasting, and product management.

Flame war: anyone arguing about emacs vs. vi is an old dog stuck in the past. Using either today is like installing a carburetor your brand new car.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Software engineering in embedded systems (mostly wireless telecommunications).

Side project: building an expert system shell that integrates with neural networks (mostly to use adaptive filters and ANNs in place of certainty factor equations).

I'd be interested in hear more about the software you've worked on for embedded systems, as well as that side project... Sound interesting!
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Work: SQL developer/Crystal Reports writer/Query & Table optimization/Server backup, security, migration
I have a love/hate relationship with Crystal Reports...

I once received a parking ticket in the mail, that I had written the crystal report for...

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:04 pm

adwinistrator wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Software engineering in embedded systems (mostly wireless telecommunications).

I'd be interested in hear more about the software you've worked on for embedded systems, as well as that side project... Sound interesting!
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Work: SQL developer/Crystal Reports writer/Query & Table optimization/Server backup, security, migration

I once received a parking ticket in the mail, that I had written the crystal report for...

Some stuff I can't discuss much, but the other stuff was mainly base radio and packet data routing / load balancing stuff.

The side project is just a synthesis of two branches of AI. The main reason for the toolset would be expert systems for market trading, where you need to be able to train the certainty factors for rules contingent upon other factors and context instead of a straight CF equation.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:07 pm

adwinistrator wrote:

LMFAO Now that's funny right there
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Some stuff I can't discuss much, but the other stuff was mainly base radio and packet data routing / load balancing stuff.

The side project is just a synthesis of two branches of AI. The main reason for the toolset would be expert systems for market trading, where you need to be able to train the certainty factors for rules contingent upon other factors and context instead of a straight CF equation.
Can't discuss because of NDA, gov't confidentiality, IP, or personal?

I'd be interested in knowing about the devices, interface, coding environment, firmware or drivers, etc.

A buddy of mine does embedded software on storage devices utilizing Apple's thunderbolt tech.

Is the side project (in final planned form) just a user application, or a hosted service/API? Language? Dataset/database?

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:17 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:I have a love/hate relationship with Crystal Reports...

LMFAO Now that's funny right there
I actually considered trying to remember the backdoor login to the network/DB, just pop on in a delete my ticket's records...

Then I considered how angry the city police might be if they noticed that, and the subsequent federal charges involved...

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:37 pm

adwinistrator wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Some stuff I can't discuss much, but the other stuff was mainly base radio and packet data routing / load balancing stuff.

Can't discuss because of NDA, gov't confidentiality, IP, or personal?

I'd be interested in knowing about the devices, interface, coding environment, firmware or drivers, etc.

A buddy of mine does embedded software on storage devices utilizing Apple's thunderbolt tech.

Is the side project (in final planned form) just a user application, or a hosted service/API? Language? Dataset/database?

Mostly helped build wireless network hardware. We built the devices ourselves. OS was PSOS for the most part. Coding environment is whatever you want, though most of us just used Solaris environments we logged into from PCs via VNC clients. Language was C. Efficiency and optimization are key.

Right now, the side project is beginning as an API for building neural networks and adapative filters. I will build the expert system shell separately (probably a basic rete algorithm at first). Then I will integrate them once they both are up in running.