Django from Django Unchained is not a hero

Hwen Hoshino

Django from Django Unchained is not a hero

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:50 am

Anybody agrees with me he is just another interesting sociopathic asshole like most Tarantino leads? The man just cares about his revenge and getting pussy that fits on his dick the best and not much else.

adwinistrator

Re: Django from Django Unchained is not a hero

Post by adwinistrator » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:59 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:Anybody agrees with me he is just another interesting sociopathic asshole like most Tarantino leads? The man just cares about his revenge and getting pussy that fits on his dick the best and not much else.
Tarantino hasn't had a "hero" in any film I can remember. Most of his films involve doing terrible things for "good" reasons, most of his characters are ethically conflicted, or apathetic at best.

Even those that do good, for the most part, are usually secondary parties to the main conflict. You never really understand their real motivations, or the context of their actions.

He's part of the anti-hero genre, where rooting for the good guy is never as simple as the honorable hero who has pure intentions. To take a side in the story, is to accept the moral ambiguity of the characters involved.

I mean, were you rooting for the cops in Reservoir Dogs?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:04 pm

It's a Blaxploitation film set before the Civil War. That's a common theme of the genre. It's just different because of the Antebellum setting.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:05 pm

adwinistrator wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:Anybody agrees with me he is just another interesting sociopathic asshole like most Tarantino leads? The man just cares about his revenge and getting pussy that fits on his dick the best and not much else.
Tarantino hasn't had a "hero" in any film I can remember. Most of his films involve doing terrible things for "good" reasons, most of his characters are ethically conflicted, or apathetic at best.

Even those that do good, for the most part, are usually secondary parties to the main conflict. You never really understand their real motivations, or the context of their actions.

He's part of the anti-hero genre, where rooting for the good guy is never as simple as the honorable hero who has pure intentions. To take a side in the story, is to accept the moral ambiguity of the characters involved.

The girl in Inglourious Basterds was a pretty close match to a hero.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Shoot 'em up movies need a guy that can go on a killing spree, but still be the good guy. All protagonists in shooter movies are bad guys, but they get framed in a positive way. You wouldn't hear a story about an ex soldier killing a bunch of people and needing to have the army called in to stop him and think that dudes the hero, but that's Rambo.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:Tarantino hasn't had a "hero" in any film I can remember. Most of his films involve doing terrible things for "good" reasons, most of his characters are ethically conflicted, or apathetic at best.

I'd agree, but I'd also point out that we're never really given a glimpse into her history, the actions she's taken as a spy, the context of her life. With the main characters, he learn about what makes them tick, the good, bad, and ugly. For all we know, as a spy, she's done some morally ambiguous things.

That's why the most "good" characters in his films, are the ones we know the least about.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:15 pm

adwinistrator wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:Tarantino hasn't had a "hero" in any film I can remember. Most of his films involve doing terrible things for "good" reasons, most of his characters are ethically conflicted, or apathetic at best.

I'd agree, but I'd also point out that we're never really given a glimpse into her history, the actions she's taken as a spy, the context of her life. With the main characters, he learn about what makes them tick, the good, bad, and ugly. For all we know, as a spy, she's done some morally ambiguous things.

That's why the most "good" characters in his films, are the ones we know the least about.

No, I mean the theater owner. She was the main character of the film.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:20 pm

adwinistrator wrote:

Yeah, but she murdered a lot of people who might not have done anything other than go see a movie.

Also, we'd never condone it in real life.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:21 pm

adwinistrator wrote:

Ah, wrong woman. I agree she was definitely a hero.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:Yeah, but she murdered a lot of people who might not have done anything other than go see a movie.

Also, we'd never condone it in real life.
It was a film premier for Nazi high command. I won't make the argument about possible innocents included in that group, but have at it. :D