4th Amendment Thread

C-Mag

Re: 4th Amendment Thread

Post by C-Mag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Data Driven:
Explore How Cops Are Collecting and Sharing Our Travel Patterns Using Automated License Plate Readers

We focused exclusively on departments that contract with surveillance vendor Vigilant Solutions to share data between their ALPR systems.
We have released records obtained from 200 agencies, accounting for more than 2.5 -billion license plate scans in 2016 and 2017. This data is collected regardless of whether the vehicle or its owner or driver are suspected of being involved in a crime. In fact, the information shows that 99.5% of the license plates scanned were not under suspicion at the time the vehicles’ plates were collected.
On average, agencies are sharing data with a minimum of 160 other agencies through Vigilant Solutions’ LEARN system, though many agencies are sharing data with over 800 separate entities.
https://www.eff.org/pages/automated-lic ... er-dataset

Brought to you from the good folks in Washington DC and Silicon Valley
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Congress is (far) worse than useless, although this is precisely why the institution exists in the first place.

What say you, Justice Repo Man?

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:51 am

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:21 am

I used to listen to a history podcaster who would comment bi-monthly on issues like this, he was really good on 4th Amendment issues too...………….. I wonder what happened to him ?

:angelic-blueglow:
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:58 am

I wonder if it is possible to start a movement to push the abolition of license plates through state legislatures on fourth amendment and privacy grounds.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:25 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:58 am
I wonder if it is possible to start a movement to push the abolition of license plates through state legislatures on fourth amendment and privacy grounds.
Not sure about that. But I think you could get rid of automatic tag readers.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:27 am

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:25 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:58 am
Not sure about that. But I think you could get rid of automatic tag readers.
It will just be something else later on down the line. The source of the problem is the illegitimate stamp taxes that are these license plates and associated stickers.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 am

:zzz:

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:38 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:48 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Tracking chips are being put in the tires of your car
Collecting driver data, then selling it to private companies. Like insurance companies.

They are hard to get to too. They are on the inside wall of your tire. Next time I get tires I'm going to ask if they you RFID chips.
https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2018/07 ... ped-tires/
At this point, it's safer to assume that every part of your car is uploading information on you. Tires are just one of many, many places to hide a bug.
RFID tags on tires, TPMS pressure sensors... but they are fairly short range, you might get tracked through a toll booth (which you are anyways if you use a speedpass type thing) but not much else.

I'd be more concerned about something built into the radio/GPS setup most cars have these days. XM satellite radio is keyed to your stereo... how? Things like OnStar/roadside-assistance. Hell, most people carry around smart phones with them these days - if you don't want to be tracked leave that thing at home or just don't use one at all.

Much less the idiots that have IOT devices around it home, Alexa and the like listening in on them, wireless/WiFi front door/baby monitor cameras, TV's and laptops that have built-in video cameras... people are INVITING big brother into their house.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:20 pm

Ph64 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:38 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:48 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Tracking chips are being put in the tires of your car
Collecting driver data, then selling it to private companies. Like insurance companies.

They are hard to get to too. They are on the inside wall of your tire. Next time I get tires I'm going to ask if they you RFID chips.
https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2018/07 ... ped-tires/
At this point, it's safer to assume that every part of your car is uploading information on you. Tires are just one of many, many places to hide a bug.
RFID tags on tires, TPMS pressure sensors... but they are fairly short range, you might get tracked through a toll booth (which you are anyways if you use a speedpass type thing) but not much else.

I'd be more concerned about something built into the radio/GPS setup most cars have these days. XM satellite radio is keyed to your stereo... how? Things like OnStar/roadside-assistance. Hell, most people carry around smart phones with them these days - if you don't want to be tracked leave that thing at home or just don't use one at all.

Much less the idiots that have IOT devices around it home, Alexa and the like listening in on them, wireless/WiFi front door/baby monitor cameras, TV's and laptops that have built-in video cameras... people are INVITING big brother into their house.
XM isn't tracking you, but the Bluetooth certainly could.

This all comes from an unspoken assumption that we enjoy a 4th Amendment right to privacy - which we don't. The burning of the Constitution has been conducted quite flawlessly. By the time it's revealed, people are already numb to it.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0