2nd Amendment Thread

C-Mag

Re: 2nd Amendment Thread

Post by C-Mag » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:58 pm

The propaganda surge against your gun rights is starting. From AR15.com https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Goo ... 78/?page=1

Google search Mass shooting surge, then hit News tab, the articles are everywhere, no data behind it

Two bills have passed the house and are headed to the Senate. One will drag out gun sales from max 3 days, to max 20 days. In the digital age these are actually instantaneous. The second would make all private sales of firearms illegal.

American Gun Owners are rallying around putting pressure on Dem WV Senator Joe Manchin, who everyone believes is the pivotal votes. They are telling people to call and voice your opinion

Sen Manchin
P: 202-224-3954
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:29 pm

Thought you guys might dig this object tracking coil gun I made.

Last edited by doc_loliday on Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 pm

Laser tracking? give me a rail gun! Although that tracking system is cool... what did you use to make it track?
Last edited by The Conservative on Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:29 pm
Thought you guys might dig this object tracking coil gun I made.

that is taking gun nut to a whole nother level

that's some Picasso shit right dair
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:41 pm

Yikers!
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:55 pm

Dude that is awesome. Now develop it to hit moving targets, and you’ve got a market!
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:19 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 pm
Laser tracking? give me a rail gun! Although that tracking system is cool... what did you use to make it track?

The rail gun is considerably more difficult to construct. The resistance between the slug and the rails has to be extremely small, fractions of an ohm. Adding weight to increase the contact, for example, is problematic for a few obvious reasons. Another problem is the cost of the materials, every time I had a bad go, I was blowing chunks of aluminum out of my rails. I could go for better materials, but I decided to dedicate my efforts to the coil gun since there is no sliding friction. Additionally, I would have had to construct a bigger better turret, with bigger motors, so its kind of on the shelf at the moment. I will say that the physics for modeling the rail gun are a bit simpler and there is better documentation. Also, I will mention that I've seen a few videos where people cobble together these things, but mine is engineered, ie, I started with the physics equations, and there are a lot, and wrote a long ass script to model the physics of the coil gun. In fact, that part took me the longest out of everything, and the compile times took hours. But it actually works. I have confirmed my results empirically by measuring the muzzle velocity of the slug and the distance it travels, etc.

Anyway regarding the tracking. It's pretty humble, but it works. Essentially I continually take pictures, filter out the color I want, and apply a sizing threshold. I do the same for the laser. Then I use trigonometry to find the distances and angles and then coordinates. I send those coordinates to a microcontroller which calculates how much to move the stepper motors and moves them. If your'e interested I can go into more detail. One issue though is that, the object has to stop momentarily, since there is no predictive algorithm, the gun is always just a tiny bit behind.

Actually the better move would be to use kalman filters, which is pretty standard object tracking, but very robust, space program/military controls use them, but I've never actually done that before, and the aforementioned is something I was just able to come up with without too much thought.
Last edited by doc_loliday on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:20 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:55 pm
Dude that is awesome. Now develop it to hit moving targets, and you’ve got a market!
It does.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:29 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:20 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
It does.
Let’s set that sucker up on a deer trail this fall.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:42 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:29 pm
doc_loliday wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:20 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
It does.
Let’s set that sucker up on a deer trail this fall.
It couldn't do that. I'd need a lot more capacitors for that. Those 5 caps, each at 4300uF, and you may be thinking that's enormous, and it is, at 350V that's nearly 1300J. But coil guns/rail guns are fantastically inefficient, less than 1%. In fact mine was only 0.1886%. Also, they are really dangerous. This thing already delivers a maximum of around 1000 amps. Although that's enough to kill a battalion and then some, I guess it doesn't really matter if it were 100 times more powerful.