Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by brewster » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:48 pm
brewster wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:27 pm
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:05 pm
Laser comms could tell your enemies exactly where you are located. They are literally directed between the senders and receivers.
They would have to literally be directly in the line of sight to even detect it. Yes, in space, hand signals with a range of yards is obviously much better than encrypted laser telecom with a range of kiloclicks.

As for Hypercooling, study some fucking physics.
He was talking about infantry. You don't want to provide your enemy with a laser targeting your infantry if they are capable of detecting it and even using to guide weapons to your recipients.

Even in space, sure, laser comms might be useful, but even today we can use quantum entanglement to communicate. No obvious way to detect that shit and you can communicate instantly. Also needs no line of site at all.
Lasers can't be detected unless you're in the line of sight. And if we currently have FTL quantum entanglement communications, that's news to me. Last I, or any scientist heard, that was still impossible.

https://www.space.com/41968-quantum-ent ... light.html
while the process of disentanglement happens instantaneously, the revelation of it does not. We have to use good old-fashioned no-faster-than-light communication methods to piece together the correlations that quantum entanglement demands. Thus, Einstein's universal speed limit is preserved, and so is the fundamentally quantum worldview.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:21 pm

It's already a thing, dude.
In a landmark study, a team of Chinese scientists using an experimental satellite has tested quantum entanglement over unprecedented distances, beaming entangled pairs of photons to three ground stations across China—each separated by more than 1,200 kilometers. The test verifies a mysterious and long-held tenet of quantum theory, and firmly establishes China as the front-runner in a burgeoning “quantum space race” to create a secure, quantum-based global communications network—that is, a potentially unhackable “quantum internet” that would be of immense geopolitical importance. The findings were published Thursday in Science.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -internet/

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:22 pm

Anyways, this shit is dope because of the romantic love story and tragic ends

That's what hooks you in

The Solar War is just the setting

The Main Battle Droids are simply a vehicle

The combat is targeted at a US military audience, it's them ; in space.

There's no way guys at Fort Bragg wouldn't read it, they'd love it
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Fuckit, I'll leave Smitty alone, at this point he's made clear he's writing & drawing a Nick Fury gets laid in Space comic book, not anything resemble actual SF. I hate comic books, but at least they usually have the decency to make no claims to be anything but fantasy.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:27 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm
Fuckit, I'll leave Smitty alone,
No, don't.

I invite your criticism, I like it

I don't take offence, I want critique of it

Just saying, this is mil sci fi for guys who actually served, I'm not making it for Civvies
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:29 pm

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:21 pm
It's already a thing, dude.
In a landmark study, a team of Chinese scientists using an experimental satellite has tested quantum entanglement over unprecedented distances, beaming entangled pairs of photons to three ground stations across China—each separated by more than 1,200 kilometers. The test verifies a mysterious and long-held tenet of quantum theory, and firmly establishes China as the front-runner in a burgeoning “quantum space race” to create a secure, quantum-based global communications network—that is, a potentially unhackable “quantum internet” that would be of immense geopolitical importance. The findings were published Thursday in Science.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -internet/
You're misreading that. The entanglement is used for distributing security keys, not for FTL coms, which is still impossible. You can't tell that a bit has been sent until you confirm it by normal <lightspeed coms.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 pm

It's not important what the extreme details are in the book

in the graphic format I add more detail

but the book stands on its own. If my wife loves it, which she does, then that's dope mil sci fi

The Tropes are US Military in Space, defending NASA on the Space Trace

But when you are in the military, you're mostly about love and sex with girls, so that's the story

It's like my wife read one of my romantic sex scenes and she was like "it's hot"

That's what the troops want to, I know, I was one of them
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:42 pm

It's like I love Starship Troopers.

But it's all about the Tropes

These are the Tropes,

except it's what the military was really like, it's not comic book military

The military is about being elite, striving to be an elite Operator

But always in the background, you're searching for that girl who will be your wife

When you are working, you think about work, but when you climb into your rack, all you think about is girls

They're cute, they're fun, they smell good, they are amusing

that hot naked body pressed up against you; that's all that matters in the end

The military is a harsh realm, sharp edges, no mercy

When you come home to your girl, it's the best thing you've ever felt

Civvies think the military is all about hate, but really, it's all about love

It's like when you come out of the field, and you see your girl in the parking lot waiting for you

It's bliss. You're counting the minutes until you are dismissed "take me home, babe"

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:35 pm

It's like my father lost his second wife to cancer. She was only 44

He was still my Da.

We were still buddies, we still had good times

But a shadow was cast over him

when you lose your best girl, you can never get her back
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48