The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

brewster

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by brewster » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:46 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:15 pm
The bulk of hog hunting meat rots. :(
Which is not really cool by me. If nothing else there should be dog food companies following the copter and picking up carcasses...………. or giving the meat to zoos, whatev. But wild boar are a YUGE problem all through the South.

Boar is downright tasty. Roast Boar Shank Mmmmmmmmmmmm:D
Please explain. In a part of the country saturated with weapons and supposed "real men", why is hunting boar not a HUGE thing? It's not like medieval aristocrats didn't have other shit to hunt, they liked hunting boar, it was a masculine challenge. If nothing else it puts food on the table. Do these guys prefer bland supermarket meat to fucking wild boar??? I'd rather eat the most humble fish I caught myself than buy the most exotic fish.

As an aside, did you ever see the episode of Tred Barta's show where he hunts boar with dogs and a bowie knife? Little over the top, but I liked his hunting and fishing show. Even when he did canned hunts on private preserves, he usually stalked with a longbow rather than using guns and blinds, and was always a good sport when he missed. My son and I were fans. The kid may end up a hunter yet if he keeps hanging out in Alaska. He tells me he's a pretty good shot with a 9mm.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:47 pm

In North Carolina, they are basically only found in the mountains in the far western corner of the state. Lots of people hunt them here, but they typically use crossbows and such as far as I know.

I don't think they ever get as overpopulated and dangerous as you saw in that video. They get hunted nonstop.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:50 pm

If I were really into that sort of thing, I'd just raise three or four American bulldogs or dogos to pin the hogs while I shoot them. Quick and simple.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Hog hunting with dogs sounds like a blast. Probably pretty rough on the dogs though.

Fighting a hog is a different deal than killing a coon or chasing a rabbit in a circle.

BTW Beagles are my favorite hunting dogs. What about you all?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:44 pm

No hogs in my area, so I'm working on bits of info. I hear Texas is the place where they are really over populated.

I can say from growing up on a ranch that inviting g hunters in can cause a lot of problems.

I think hound and spear boar hunting wo uh old be quite a test.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:05 am

We got plenty of boar in Sweden. More than all the hunters can deal with. They try to make it as easy as possible to hunt them. I think it's the only prey you are allowed to hunt by baiting. It's not a popular prey since each body has to be checked for Trichinella.
In some of the parts of Sweden where they got most of the fallout from Chernobyl the meat has to be tested for radioactivity as well. It's not uncommon to find boars with 13.000 Bq/kg due to Cesium-137. The limit for selling meat is 1500 Bq/kg.

Radioactive Wild Boars. What could go wrong?

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:18 pm
Hog hunting with dogs sounds like a blast. Probably pretty rough on the dogs though.

Fighting a hog is a different deal than killing a coon or chasing a rabbit in a circle.

Weimerainers. But obviously not for pig
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 am

California wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 am
Fife wrote:

Weimerainers. But obviously not for pig
Jämthund, also called the Swedish Elkhound.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:28 am

Fife wrote:

American bulldogs. My Ambull died from cancer last March. It feels like being disarmed without one now. The best companion dogs you can find. They can hunt, help defend your family, and at the same time are gentle and friendly.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:13 am

For boar, you want a catch dog. Something which will hold it until you get there to despatch it. A Staffordshire terrier does it very well.

For a really useful hunting dog in my part of the world, you get a lurcher.
Rabbits, hares and small deer can't outrun them.

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.