Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:31 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:24 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:06 pm
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 pm

There is a pod up at the top of the C-5 for people that is pressurized a little and heated. If you climb down the stairs to the main cargo arra it is cold, but you go down there at your own risk during flight. If the plane hits turbulence you could fall two stories onto a cargo pallet or something.
Riding in one of those planes is badass as fuck. Overall, taking out the health problems that you experienced later, did you enjoy your time in the military?
A lot of fun and a lot of bullshit at the same time. The flight line is soul crushing in the long run.

Just saw this in an aircraft maintenance group. It's similar shit in the USAF.

Dumb question. This dude seems pissed. Who is in the wrong here? The guy yelling or the group being yelled at? Or is it just the system set up? The guy seems pissed and at the end of his rope, but seems sincere and not a bad dude...
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:04 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:31 pm
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:24 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:06 pm

Riding in one of those planes is badass as fuck. Overall, taking out the health problems that you experienced later, did you enjoy your time in the military?
A lot of fun and a lot of bullshit at the same time. The flight line is soul crushing in the long run.

Just saw this in an aircraft maintenance group. It's similar shit in the USAF.

Dumb question. This dude seems pissed. Who is in the wrong here? The guy yelling or the group being yelled at? Or is it just the system set up? The guy seems pissed and at the end of his rope, but seems sincere and not a bad dude...
The guy yelling is in the right.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Although, in the Air Force, what those guys were doing that pissed him off is allowed. Anybody can drop a red x in the maintenance log of an aircraft, and that thing is grounded until somebody addresses it.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:27 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:08 pm
Although, in the Air Force, what those guys were doing that pissed him off is allowed. Anybody can drop a red x in the maintenance log of an aircraft, and that thing is grounded until somebody addresses it.
Is that the wrong thing to do? I mean, if I were fixing air craft, I would not consider my job done until I'd be personally willing to fly in it and feel safe. Isn't that better for the pilots? Or is it just laziness and an unwillingness to work?
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:51 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:27 pm
Is that the wrong thing to do? I mean, if I were fixing air craft, I would not consider my job done until I'd be personally willing to fly in it and feel safe. Isn't that better for the pilots? Or is it just laziness and an unwillingness to work?
I guess the Marine system is to tell whatever they call a prod super so that he can decide.

When we did it, it could fuck with their stats and planning a lot, which is why he was pissed, but it is better to deal with shit on the level, stats be damned, in my opinion.

In fact, I did exactly what that guy demanded once and only once. I was still E3, but was highest ranking b shopper on weekend duty. One of the airman fresh out of tech school came up to me and told me he saw a crack in the left stabilizer. I checked it out, and sure enough you could see this hairline crack. But it could have been just in the paint it was so faint.

I tell the senior master sergeant about it. He looked at it and said it was just the paint. I was not so sure, but he said not to write it up.

An hour later half the stabilizer broke off in flight. I was super pissed.

Some of the other avionics airmen said they overheard that guy asking some other NCOs if he was in trouble, and they said they had his back.

Like I said: soul crushing in the long run.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:51 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:27 pm
I guess the Marine system is to tell whatever they call a prod super so that he can decide.

When we did it, it could fuck with their stats and planning a lot, which is why he was pissed, but it is better to deal with shit on the level, stats be damned, in my opinion.

In fact, I did exactly what that guy demanded once and only once. I was still E3, but was highest ranking b shopper on weekend duty. One of the airman fresh out of tech school came up to me and told me he saw a crack in the left stabilizer. I checked it out, and sure enough you could see this hairline crack. But it could have been just in the paint it was so faint.

I tell the senior master sergeant about it. He looked at it and said it was just the paint. I was not so sure, but he said not to write it up.

An hour later half the stabilizer broke off in flight. I was super pissed.

Some of the other avionics airmen said they overheard that guy asking some other NCOs if he was in trouble, and they said they had his back.

Like I said: soul crushing in the long run.
That is fucked. I would be pissed if I was in that chopper, or in your shoes. My buddy told me paper work is important to cover your own ass, he said that in the military a common phrase is, whoever has the most paperwork wins. Is that true?
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:37 pm

Could just use a five dollar can of die check to see hairline cracks. Not sure if it works on painted metal though.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:46 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:37 pm
Could just use a five dollar can of die check to see hairline cracks. Not sure if it works on painted metal though.
Soapy water works as well.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 am

There is a shop that comes out and uses some kind of sonic scanner. I am not sure how it works, but it is not a trivial thing. That downs the bird for days.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Worst case scenario: Japanese defector absconded with an F-35.