The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Montegriffo

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Hastur wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 pm
:lol: :clap:

Yeah, I found one of them in my garden in France.
Right under the spaghetti tree.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:34 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:15 am
StCapps wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:41 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:11 pm
I don't believe in coincidences.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

Garak Knows
I loved his character, but if you know the rest of that and his history, you’ll know full well he was in a field that made coincidences happen.

So that is why he didn’t trust them.
Plain, simple, Garak? He's just a tailor bro.
:shifty:
*yip*

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:20 pm

StCapps wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:34 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:15 am
StCapps wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:41 pm
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

Garak Knows
I loved his character, but if you know the rest of that and his history, you’ll know full well he was in a field that made coincidences happen.

So that is why he didn’t trust them.
Plain, simple, Garak? He's just a tailor bro.
:shifty:
A tailor that has as many stories as stitches in a repair. He's not just a tailor ;)
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:09 pm

They figured out what happened to the Lion Air 737 Max.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -e0dbq22Rc

AOA probe was repaired by a contractor in Florida. Installed on the aircraft in Bali. Never worked from the time it was installed. Faulty AOA probe sent false signal to, I suppose, whatever you call an Air Data Computer on that thing. ADC would have sent bad angle of attack data to whatever they call a Flight Control Computer on the 737 Max. FCC then realizes (falsely) this thing is in trouble and took control, trying to correct for an angle of attack that was not the actual situation.

AOA probe should have been bench checked at the depot that allegedly repaired it. Looks like they did not. Maintenance guys in Bali should have ops checked it after they installed it. They obviously did not. Aircrew failed to realize what was happening in time when the automated flight control system kicked in and pitched down. Three fuck ups lead to a crash.

This is why I refuse to fly commercial. It's a terrible industry.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:12 pm

From what I hear the engines are mounted funky to conserve fuel. The anti-stall software was compensated but it still required people with flight experience because the software patch was dog shit.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 pm

I would not want to be anywhere near that Florida repair shop when the FAA rolls up in the SUVs.

And it's not implausible that the other aircraft crashed for the same reason because the same repair shop shipped a faulty probe and the maintenance techs didn't properly ops check them after installation. A lot of these shops specialize and do large volume of specific parts.

If I were the NTSB and FAA, I would intercept every last AOA probe coming out of that shop I could get my hands on and start installing on them on a phased 737 Max, ops checking them one at a time to look for any patterns of fraud or failure.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Yeah well few hundred dead is a small price to pay to make the contract.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:25 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 pm
Yeah well few hundred dead is a small price to pay to make the contract.
That mentality really pisses me off sometimes. Business people should be lined up every now and again for doing shit like that.

Apparently, Boeing's excuse that the pilots should have just pitched the nose back up in response falls flat on its face as well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... got-harder

The pilots tried to do that and couldn't recover from what MCAS did to the planes without warning.

Another weird nugget I came across a week ago was that the 737 Max doesn't even ship with an angle of attack indicator unless the customer orders it custom. I really don't understand that at all. You need an angle of an attack indicator to safely operate an aircraft like that.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:28 pm

The problems all stem from Boeing trying to squeeze too much out of their cash cow 737.

They've stretched the fuselage to the point where the plane is inherently flawed.

It's all cascading from the flight control jimmying to make up for the fact that this is not actually a 737 anymore.

It's a new plane, and because it is a Frankenplane, it's a flawed and dangerous design.

But it is being sold as the same old 737. Which is why nobody is prepared for it to be so janky.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:36 pm

The engines on the 737 are very close to the wing.

It's only 737 because 737 was designed to allow people to board by stairs.

The engines are close to the wing, to keep the plane close to the ground when it is parked.

The problem comes when you stretch the fuselage to squeeze more passengers in.

The center of gravity is too high.

This makes the plane want to pitch up, or pitch down.

Everything is a patch in the flight control system, to compensate for this wobbly goblin.
Nec Aspera Terrent